Display go radar
by Madeleine Williamson

This App Can Help You Actually Find Pokemon While Playing Pokemon Go

By Madeleine Williamson - Aug 20 2016

Not many college juniors can list an app on the App Store’s top ten list among their accomplishments. But Rhodes College student Will Cobb can. He’s the creator of GO Radar, an app that helps Pokemon Go players track Pokemon near them, USA Today reported Friday.

“The first night I released it, it was 10 p.m. and nobody downloaded it. I went to bed thinking I wasted all this time, and when I woke up the next morning it had 200,000 downloads,” Cobb said.

The app landed in in the top ten list that morning. For a brief time, it was more popular than Gmail or Netflix. And its reign isn’t over. Yesterday GO Radar sat at number 26 in the App Store.

And it’s all thanks to Cobb’s frustration with Pokemon Go’s features. “I was playing it when it first came out, and they had that step tracking system. They took that away a few days later, and I was bummed out,” he said.

So he created GO Radar, available for iPhones and Androids. The app uses locations and information from players all over the world to map where Pokemon are. It also shows Pokemon Gyms and Pokestops on a larger map than is available in the Pokemon Go app. Users can choose only to see rarer Pokemon and filter results for specific species.

Will you be enlisting the help of GO Radar or a similar app to catch them all?

Lead image credit: Viktor Hanacek on PicJumbo

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.