Display 8771888350 abe4caa03c o
by Madeleine Williamson

The President Is Hosting a Music Festival on the White House Lawn

By Madeleine Williamson - Sep 08 2016

President Obama’s time in office is coming to a close. Whatever your political views, you have to admit one of his last acts as President sounds pretty cool. Next month, the President, the American Film Institute, the President’s Committee on Arts and Humanities and South by Southwest will host the South by South Lawn festival. It will, of course, take place on the White House’s South Lawn, Teen Vogue reported Tuesday.

“South by South Lawn, an event inspired by South by Southwest, will bring together creators, innovators, and organizers who work day in and day out to improve the lives of their fellow Americans and people around the world,” White House Chief Digital Officer Jason Goldman said on the White House website.

The music festival is the most attention-grabbing component of the festival. But by no means is it the only part. Like its inspiration, South by South Lawn will feature much more than music. It will include a screening of films by winners of the AFI’s White House Student Film Festival. An interactive panel will feature discussions of activism and creating positive change.

As for the lineup? “Musical performances will include well-known and emerging artists who are using their music to inspire audiences,” Goldman said.

The President’s inspiration came from attending South by Southwest earlier this year. You can apply to join him at South by South Lawn through September 10. The White House requests that applicants tell why they should be in attendance.

Lead Image Credit: MarylandGovPics on Flickr Creative Commons.

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.