Display olympics
by Madeleine Williamson

The Olympics’ First Gold Went to a 19-Year-Old American College Student

By Madeleine Williamson - Aug 10 2016

Before the opening ceremonies began Friday, Team USA had already won a gold medal at the Rio Olympics. The medal wasn’t just Team USA’s first this year — it was the first gold awarded at this year’s summer games. It went to West Virginia University sophomore Ginny Thrasher, Teen Vogue reported Saturday.

19-year-old Thrasher is a member of WVU’s rifle team, for whom she won the NCAA’s air rifle title this March. She competed in the women’s 10-meter air rifle event. In a surprise upset, Thrasher set a record score. She also defeated 2004 Chinese gold medalist Du Li, who took silver in the event.

“After I finished shooting, I didn’t have a lot going through my mind other than overwhelming happiness,” Thrasher said. “Shooting is a great sport. It’s all about being able to control the mind in accordance with the body.”

Lead Image Credit: Simon via Flickr Creative Commons

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.