Display six flags
by Madeleine Williamson

Six Flags Has a Dress Code - And This Girl’s V-Neck Violated It

By Madeleine Williamson - Aug 03 2016

Bina Ramesh’s Facebook post about her 22nd birthday has gone viral, but probably not for the reason you’d think. She visited Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey to celebrate her birthday, Teen Vogue reported Saturday. When she tried to reenter after a trip to her car, security guards told Ramesh her v-neck shirt violated the park's dress code.

Ramesh swapped shirts with a male friend. When guards deemed the v-neck appropriate on him, they let the two back in the park. “What they did to me was unfair,” Ramesh told Seventeen

The Six Flags dress code makes no mention of v-necks or cleavage. It does say that “Park admission may be denied if clothing or tattoos are deemed to be inappropriate by management.” Ramesh thinks the claim that she violated the dress code was unfair. “How could I have been let in earlier that day by a female guard? Now suddenly the rules have changed when there’s a male guard paying closer attention to my cleavage?” she said.

“They made me feel like I was inferior to a man because I was not allowed to wear the same thing.”

Six Flags Great Adventure public relations supervisor Kaitlyn Pitts responded. “We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused this guest. Similar to many public venues, we strive to maintain a family-friendly environment,” Pitts said in a statement to Seventeen.

Lead image credit: Neil R on Flickr

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.