Display 15966142128 0454bf5c8c o
by Madeleine Williamson

Microsoft Is Introducing A New Tool That Might Make Writing Research Papers A Little Easier

By Madeleine Williamson - Jul 31 2016

It’s 11:30 pm and you’re frantically switching between JSTOR and Word, trying to find and cite that last source for your paper. Sound familiar? The common struggle may soon be a thing of the past thanks to Microsoft Researcher.

The new tool will be available inside Word, USA Today reported Wednesday. It will use Microsoft’s Bing search engine to find and cite sources without leaving Word. The tool will access information from educational and news sites, but other sources will soon be available.

“We’ll continue expanding Researcher’s body of reference materials to also include sources like national science and health centers, well-known encyclopedias, history databases and more,” Microsoft Office corporate VP Kirk Koenigsbauer said in a blog post.

Microsoft soon plans to add the Researcher tool to its mobile apps. They also introduced Editor, a more advanced proofreading tool that goes beyond spell check. Will you be making the switch from Google Drive or Apple Pages to try out the new tools?

Lead image credit: Mike Mozart on Flickr

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.