Display unnamed
by Madeleine Williamson

Kim K, the President and You: Twitter Opens up Account Verification

By Madeleine Williamson - Jul 23 2016

Previously reserved for celebrities and public figures, Twitter’s blue verification check mark could soon be yours.

Twitter opened up its coveted account verification feature to all users on Tuesday. Users wishing to be verified must complete an application process to authenticate their identity and demonstrate their need for verification. For verification, accounts need a confirmed email address and phone number with profile and header pictures, a birthday and website and a bio. In other words, no anonymous eggs allowed.

“Our goal with the update is to help more people find great, high-quality accounts to follow,” Tina Bhatnagar, Twitter’s VP of user services, said on the website’s blog.

The change comes as Twitter doubles down on efforts to curb abuse. The company hopes that users will be able to recognize accounts as credible by their verification status.

Photo by Sebastiaan ter Burg.

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.