Display tinder
by Madeleine Williamson

Is Tinder Lowering Your Self-Esteem?

By Madeleine Williamson - Aug 13 2016

Dating can be scary. Online dating in particular can be scary. New research shows it may be getting to us – particularly those of us on Tinder.

A University of North Texas study, sponsored by, found more “insecurity and shame” in people using Tinder, Teen Vogue reported Tuesday. Women showed more body-image issues, while men showed lower self-esteem. But the lower levels of self-confidence were equal across genders.

Researchers proposed that we may use online dating to find validation as much as we use it to find partners. Men’s Tinder habits reflected this idea. Women are more selective. But men swipe right on many profiles – perhaps to see what other users think of them.

But this information presents a chicken-and-egg dilemma. If we look for validation on Tinder, is Tinder at fault for our low self-esteem? “It could be just as likely that people with lower self-esteem are drawn more to these types of apps,” Jessica Strubel, PhD, of UNT told Teen Vogue.

Lead Image Credit: Bruno Gomiero via

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.