Display harvard
by Madeleine Williamson

Harvard College Republicans Refuse to Endorse Trump

By Madeleine Williamson - Aug 06 2016

Donald Trump is having trouble fitting in with more traditional parts of his party, even after gaining its nomination for president. The Harvard College Republicans, the oldest such group, refused on Thursday to endorse Trump. This marks their first refusal to endorse a Republican presidential nominee. The group has endorsed the party's nominees since its 1888 founding, Inside Higher Ed reported.

In a Facebook post, the group announced that they would not be endorsing the candidate. “Donald Trump holds views that are antithetical to our values not only as Republicans, but as Americans,” the post said. The group criticized views of Trump’s which they felt weren’t conservative enough. They deemed his isolationist and protectionist views “out-of-step with the traditional Republican stance.”

The Harvard Republicans also criticized Trump’s aggressive campaigning: “He isn’t eschewing political correctness. He is eschewing basic human decency.”

The group said that this does not represent an abandonment of the Republican cause. Rather than supporting Trump, “we will instead focus our efforts on reclaiming the Republican party from those who have done it considerable harm.” This election, the group plans to focus on electing Republicans to Congress.

Lead image credit: Ross M Karchner on Flickr

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.