Display 5924894153 d62eaef472 o
by Madeleine Williamson

Discovered: 97 New Parts of the Brain

By Madeleine Williamson - Jul 28 2016

Scientists identified 97 new parts of the brain in a paper published on Wednesday, the BBC reported. The paper comes from the Human Connectome Project. The Project aims to map the human brain in more detail than ever before to gain a better understanding of how it works. "This is the culmination of the entire HCP project that we've been working towards," Dr. Emma Robinson, a co-author of the paper, said.

This paper focused on mapping the cortex, which controls movement and other high-level functions. Researchers scanned over 400 subjects’ brains, studying both their structure and functions. Since scientists distinguished regions partly by their jobs, studying activity played a major role. Stronger knowledge of the connections between the brain's makeup and its activity will allow neuroscientists to study the brain far more accurately. “These new insights and tools should help to explain how our cortex evolved and the roles of its specialized areas in health and disease, and could eventually hold promise for unprecedented precision in brain surgery and clinical work-ups,” Bruce Cuthbert, Ph.D, of the National Institutes of Mental Health told the National Institutes of Health.

The Human Connectome Project brings together researchers from Washington University, Oxford University and University of Minnesota. For the curious, information is available on the project’s website.

Lead Image Credit: Hey Paul Studios via Flickr Creative Commons

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.