Display tinder
by Madeleine Williamson

This College Student Matched on Tinder with A Gold Medalist That Beat Michael Phelps

By Madeleine Williamson - Aug 17 2016

Plenty of us have wild Tinder stories. Twenty-year-old University of Texas-Austin student Sabrina Salazar’s went viral after she tweeted it, Cosmopolitan reported. She matched with fellow student Joseph Schooling, a member of the school’s swim team, but she didn't keep the conversation going. 

Schooling, 21, competed for Singapore at this year’s summer Olympics. He earned his country’s first gold medal when he beat Michael Phelps in the 100m butterfly.

“I was watching Michael Phelps in the 100m butterfly race and then Joseph won. I noticed the name sounded familiar and the announcers kept saying he was a Longhorn so I looked back through my Tinder matches and found out it was him,” she said to Buzzfeed.

So Salazar tweeted about it. NBC’s Olympics account retweeted her and the tweet blew up. As of Monday, it was retweeted 40,000 times and liked 80,000. It’s no surprise for an Olympian to be on Tinder. Use more than doubled after athletes moved into the Olympic Village in Rio.

Lead Image Credit: NBC Sports.

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.