Display 14702205454 5db73428d9 o
by Madeleine Williamson

Getting Involved on Campus: College Republicans

By Madeleine Williamson - Aug 31 2016

It’s welcome week, and you've probably seen many clubs on campus. Those passionate about politics can join many organizations aligned with their views. Some of the most popular are the College Democrats and College Republicans. As election season heats up, there’s no shortage of action on either side. You may have seen the College Republicans in the news for some chapters’ refusal to endorse Trump. But their activism and activities aren’t just limited to the presidential race.

Groups “Help elect Republican candidates, support the Republican agenda, and become the future leaders of the conservative movement,” the College Republican National Convention’s website says.

The Chico State chapter shows its support for Republican candidates.

Chapters campaign for Republicans running for offices beyond the president, such as local and state. They bring speakers to campuses and are active within the party. College Republicans had a presence at the Republican National Convention this summer. Alongside much older party leaders, National Chairman Alex Smith spoke to the crowd.

College Republicans recruit at Missouri State University.

College Republicans are particularly visible during the election cycle. But they have a long history. The first chapter got its start in 1892 at the University of Michigan. The organization has since grown to over 1800 chapters. The first president to have been a College Republican himself was Calvin Coolidge. Other former members have since risen to political prominence with alumni including Karl Rove, a senior advisor to former President George W. Bush. Faith and Freedom Coalition founder Ralph Reed also got his start with the College Republicans.

Look for a chapter on your campus if you’re politically inclined. Or check out the College Democrats if you lean to the left.

Lead Image Credit: Danny Huizinga via Flickr Creative Commons

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.