Display 482207076 b862939c37 o
by Madeleine Williamson

These Are The Best Colleges For Stoners

By Madeleine Williamson - Sep 04 2016

The Princeton Review’s “Reefer Madness” might be the oddest of its college rankings. The test prep service ranks schools for academics, quality of life, student satisfaction- and apparently pot-friendliness. Interesting enough, the most pot-friendly schools aren’t always in the most pot-friendly places.

The state with the most schools on the list are Vermont and New York. Vermont makes four appearances and New York makes five. Ithaca College in NY is ranked #1. But recreational marijuana is legal in neither of these states. Both New York and Vermont only allow medical marijuana.

Recreational marijuana is legal in four states. But only two - Oregon and Colorado - appear on the list. Oregon’s Evergreen State College is number four. Reed College in Portland ranks at number 12. In a major upset, Colorado University Boulder dropped to number 10 this year.

Three schools on the list are in states where all marijuana is illegal. They are number six Eckerd College in Florida, number 15 UW Madison in Wisconsin and number 18 Warren Wilson College in North Carolina. The Princeton Review didn’t look to laws when it compiled the list.

The list is "based on students' answers to the survey question: "How widely is marijuana used at your school?" the Review said.

Looking for an alternative? The Princeton Review’s “Don’t Inhale” list ranks schools where marijuana is used least. The United States Coast Guard Academy tops that list.

Lead image credit: Eliot Phillips on Flickr Creative Commons.

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.