Display 16394006418 0ec22be275 o
by Madeleine Williamson

Bear Goes Back to School at CU Boulder

By Madeleine Williamson - Sep 11 2016

This week, students at the University of Colorado Boulder had an unusual visitor. A small black bear wandered into the woods near campus. Campus police got reports around 10:30 that morning, the Denver Post reported Thursday.

The bear entered campus via a bridge over Varsity Lake. It spent the day in woods near the lake. “It slept up in the tree most of the day,” Colorado Parks and Wildlife District Manager Chris Mettenbrink said.

Campus police left the bear alone because it didn’t pose a threat. They did clear the area around the bear after a crowd formed. A group of volunteers watched the bear to ensure its safety and that of others, the Daily Camera reported.

By evening, the bear had left campus and headed into the mountains by way of nearby Boulder Creek.

Sophomore Winter Roybal was eating lunch near the lake. “I wasn't really scared at all. I actually thought he was kind of cute,” she said.

The bear was lucky to avoid the fate of previous animal visitors to campus. In 2012, a bear had to be tranquilized and fell from a tree. Its picture went viral.

We are glad that no one got hurt and the bear was able to go on its way safely.

Lead image credit: Valerie on Flickr Creative Commons.

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.