Display pennstate
by Madeleine Williamson

Another Group of College Republicans Won’t Endorse Trump

By Madeleine Williamson - Aug 14 2016

The Harvard College republicans made big news last week for refusing to endorse Trump. Now they aren’t alone. Other college republican groups refused this week to endorse their party's nominee. The Penn State Republicans released a statement on their refusal via Facebook, Inside Higher Ed reported yesterday.

“We found that a vast majority of the membership, roughly 72 percent, was against having us support him,” said the statement.

The statement described public comments and policy proposals with which the group disagrees. Trump’s comments that the military should kill terrorists’ families were among the reasons cited. The link to coverage of this comment, in fact, was labeled “war crimes.”

Michael Straw, the chapter's president, criticized Trump on Twitter.

The Penn State Republicans also reaffirmed their commitment to the party. They said they would focus on electing Republicans to other offices. The statement referenced the Harvard Republicans and the Princeton Republicans. Both groups refused to endorse Donald Trump. “At this time, the Princeton College Republicans are not taking a definitive position on Donald Trump's candidacy,” a statement on the group’s Facebook page said.

Lead Image Credit: Eden via Flickr Creative Commons

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.