by Madeleine Smith

8 Dorm-Warming Gifts To Give To Your Roomie On Move-In Day

By Madeleine Smith - Aug 19 2017

When people move into a new house, their neighbors, friends and family often give them a housewarming gift to celebrate their move. Your move to college is a similar transition, except you are moving in with someone else, and what better way to celebrate move-in day and begin building a relationship with your roommate than by giving them a “dorm-warming” gift? It doesn’t have to be big or expensive, just something little to show how excited you are to start this new chapter of your life with them. Here are eight dorm-warming gift ideas to give your roommate when you move in.

1. A mug.

Coffee is pretty much essential to the college experience, and life in general for a lot of people, so if your roomie is a coffee addict, a fun mug with their initials or a comical saying or picture would totally be appreciated.

2. A succulent plant.

Succulents are a great way to liven up a dorm room, and they are easy to take care of considering they don’t need a lot of water. A friend of mine names her succulents, so that could be fun for you to give your little succulent a fun name like Humphrey or Sally.

3. A picture of the two of you.

If you have taken a picture together before move-in day or take a picture during your first week, a great gift would be to frame it and give it to your roomie. It’s a nice way to capture one of your first memories together and show them that you are excited about making more!

4. Spirit wear

When in doubt give, them spirit wear. I’m not saying go by them an eighty dollar sweatshirt, but you could totally get them a lanyard or a phone wallet with your school's logo!

5. A gift iconic to where you are from.

If you are from out of state or your roommate is, it would be cool to give them something iconic to where you are from. I’m a Marylander going to school in New Jersey, so I could give my roomie a can of old bay or a magnet with a crab on it. This would also be great if you are an international student or you're rooming with one. This gift is also a great conversation starter to help you both begin sharing your backgrounds.

Unsplash: Lucas Sankey

6. Friendship jewelry.

You could make them on your own or buy them but a friendship necklace or bracelet. It's a great way to say you are totally up to getting to know your roomie and becoming their pal.

7. Wall decor.

Nothing makes a dorm more homey than decoration. Get them a poster or wall hanging to put up that you know they will like. Or even get something that matches a hanging on your side! And if you're into art, you could even draw or paint it yourself.

8. Throw pillow or blanket.

Every college student enjoys their sleep, so there’s no better present than one that helps make their bed cozier.

A little gift to make your roommate feel more comfortable will probably go a long way in having a good relationship with them. Again, you don’t have to break the bank, because in the end, it’s the thought that counts. Your roommate will appreciate your attempts no matter what it is, so use one of these or get creative and come up with your own dorm-warming gift.

Madeleine Smith - Rutgers University - New Brunswick

Madeleine Smith is a freshman in the Honor's College at Rutgers University- New Brunswick. She's double majoring in journalism and political science and in her free time she loves playing soccer, journaling, reading, and hanging out with friends!