Display intramurals
by Madeleine Smith

7 Weird Intramural Sports and Where You Can Play Them

By Madeleine Smith - Aug 15 2017
Intramural sports are a great way to both make friends your first year of school and fight off the "freshman 15." Most schools have the generic football, soccer, baseball, basketball, etc, but some college students have come up with some seriously creative new games that are both active and fun. Here are seven weird intramural sports that you may not have known were a thing.

1. Bubble Soccer

Bubble soccer is exactly what it sounds like. Players don a blow-up, see-through bubble and play soccer. It's definitely a contact sport in that bubbles bounce off of each other while the players are trying to get to the ball. The sport is extremely popular among students at Boston University.

2. Wallyball

Extremely similar to its namesake, volleyball, this game is played on a racquetball court. The rules are pretty much the same. However, off the wall shots and rebounds are allowed and the weird dimensions make the game intense. This intramural has been gaining popularity, especially among the co-eds at Virginia Tech.

3. Quidditch

You have probably heard about this Harry Potter themed sport that has spread across college campuses all over the world. Two teams compete to throw balls into one of three hoops guarded by their opponent, while one person on their team attempts to find the snitch. Oh and don't forget they do all this with brooms between their legs. The sport is extremely popular at Emerson College, UCLA and Texas State University. However, you can find it pretty much anywhere nowadays.

4. Octopush

Popular at MIT and the University of Florida, Octopush, otherwise known as underwater hockey, is played on the bottom of a pool. Players push a lead puck along the pool floor towards the goals with a small stick called a "pusher."

5. Battleship

Battleship is also played in a pool as participants get in canoes and use buckets to throw water at other teams in hopes of capsizing their opponents' boat, or in terms of the popular table game, to try and sink all the other battleships. This intramural is played often by students at Ohio State University.

6. Belegarth Medieval Combat

This popular intramural at the University of California at Irvine along with the University of Oregon is played with foam swords, shields, and bows and arrows. Groups use real medieval military tactics and fighting techniques to battle each other using these fake weapons. They even play teams from other colleges from time to time. 

7. Segway Polo

The name is pretty self-explanatory in that the game is the same as regular polo except for players ride segways instead of horses. This intramural is extremely popular at Gallaudet University where teams compete for the Woz Challenge Cup named after Steve Wozniak, who plays for the Silicon Valley Aftershocks, which is one of 15 international segway polo clubs.

Even if you have never been a sports person, you should definitely check out the intramural sports offered at your school, because you might end up finding out that you are secretly very talented at an unusual game!

Madeleine Smith - Rutgers University - New Brunswick

Madeleine Smith is a freshman in the Honor's College at Rutgers University- New Brunswick. She's double majoring in journalism and political science and in her free time she loves playing soccer, journaling, reading, and hanging out with friends!