Display clinic doctor health hospital
by Madalyn Deselem

5 Resources for STEM Majors to Take Advantage of at Purdue University

By Madalyn Deselem - Sep 29 2017

Being in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) major at one of the nation's best universities can be challenging to say the least. Luckily, Purdue University has created resources for its students to help them acclimate to this intense academic climate. Whether you bombed that first BIO 121 exam or you just don't know how to put Lewis structures into the CHM 129 Connect program, there are options on campus to help you succeed. 

1. Biology Resource Center (The BRC)

Location: Basement of Lily Hall (B-404)

Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:00am-5:00pm and Friday, 9:00am-1:00pm

Highlight: Daily tutoring sessions for eight different biology courses with TAs. 

The BRC is a great place for majors required to take any of the core freshman and sophomore level biology classes at Purdue. Whether you are taking intro to ecology or first-year "bio boot-camp," the BRC is available to help you with homework, finding a tutor, forming study groups or simply finding a quiet place to work. I personally go to TA office hours here weekly and have been very impressed with the help I have received. Here is the link for the BRC website to see the schedule of office hours, what courses are a part of the program and upcoming events.

2. Supplemental Instruction (SI)

Location: Course dependent

Hours: See schedule below

Highlight: Learning from someone who is not your professor, who can break down complex material in a different way. 

Maintained by Purdue's Academic Success Center, supplemental instruction sessions are one of Purdue's best resources. They take place all over campus throughout the week and are designed to assist students taking some of Purdue's most challenging courses, such as MA 16020, PHYS 172 and ME 200. The sessions take place for an hour and help you to meet students who have successfully completed the course. These peer-led sessions are a fan-favorite among academically successful students. See this semester's SI schedule here. 

3. Chemistry Resource Room

Location: WTHR 117B

Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8:30am-8:30pm, Friday, 8:30am-5:30pm, Saturday, 10:00am-6:00pm and Sunday, 12pm-4pm

Highlight: They have past chemistry exams and quizzes for you to use whenever.

Almost every major is required to take some form of chemistry, but for those of us in STEM, chemistry is often a critical part of our major. The Chemistry Resource Room is maintained by graduate chemistry students who really do know what they are doing. They have one of the best availability schedules of all of the academic resources so you have no excuse not to go either. Plus, did I mention they have a glorious cabinet full of old tests and exams for you to use to study? 

4. College of Science Instructional Nightly Enrichment (COSINE)

Location: Monday and Wednesday, Harrison Hall C110, Tuesday and Thursday, Shreve Hall University Residences Support Center (URSC)

Hours: Monday-Thursday, 7pm-10pm

Highlight: Peer-led tutoring sessions in a dorm rather than a classroom, during the time you would be doing homework anyway.

I cannot stress enough how awesome this program is. This nightly tutoring session assists students in math, biology and chemistry. Some of the tutors know engineering material as well, for those of you in FYE. I go here weekly to work on homework and interact with other people in my classes. It is definitely an amazing resource to take advantage of. 

5. Math Help Room

Location: MATH 211

Hours: Monday-Thursday, 11:30am-5:30pm

Highlight: Not failing calculus this semester because you got help from these geniuses. 

After seeing the first round of calc 2 exam survivors, we are reminded of just how difficult math at Purdue is. Luckily, the math department has a help room full of graduate students available to help you. See the schedule here.

College can be a rough transition for many people, but know that Purdue truly wants us to succeed. Take advantage of everything there is to offer. An exam may be tough, but you are tougher The best students are the ones who take the time to help themselves. 

Madalyn Deselem - Purdue University

Madalyn is a freshman at Purdue University studying Biology with Pre-Medical advising with the hopes of becoming a dermatologist. She enjoys her jobs as a barista and a freelance tutor, hammocking in obscure locations, growing succulent plants, singing her heart out on stage, and working out at the gym. She is passionate about philanthropy and making a difference in the realm of mental illness awareness. You can find her on Twitter using the handle @maddie_deselem and on Instagram as @maddie.deselem