Display kappa kappa gamma sorority house 2
by Madalyn Deselem

8 Students From Pledge Class 2017 Reflect on Their First Weeks of Being Greek

By Madalyn Deselem - Oct 11 2017

At most college campuses, Greek life is an essential component of the social dynamic. After the stressful process of recruitment, everything settles down as members go through their individual processes to become members of their specific Greek community. With initiation ceremonies fast approaching, several pledge class 2017 members were interviewed to see how their first few weeks of being Greek have been.

1. Brianna Kelly

Organization: Sigma Kappa

Q: Are you a legacy?

A: "I am a legacy, but not at a chapter here."

Q: What do you like about your organization?

A: "I love that all of the girls make an effort to get along well and go out of their way to make me feel welcomed and loved! I honestly cannot think of a single thing I don't like about my chapter."

Q: Any recommendations for people considering Greek life in the future?

A: "I hope that anyone looking to get involved in Greek life understands that there is so much more than living in a house and going out on weekends. Even in a month, I have made lasting friendships. Give Greek life a chance!"

2. Madison Thomas

Organization: Phi Sigma Rho

Q: Are you a legacy?

A: "I am a legacy for other organizations but not for Phi Sigma Rho."

Q: What do you like about about your organization?

A: "I love that our house is filled with women in STEM. Being a woman in STEM is difficult but my sisters make it feel like a cake walk."

A: "Be aware of what continuous recruitment is!!!" 

(Note: Continuous recruitment is a process apart from formal recruitment by which Greek organizations recruit new members on an informal basis after formal recruitment.)

3. Meg Schleter

Organization: Phi Mu

Q: Are you a legacy?

A: "Yes!"

A: "It's literally just like walking into home. Everyone welcomes you and you just feel so amazing. [The only thing I don't like is that] I don't really get to connect with the seniors. It's hard to get to know them."

A: "DO IT. Everyone says that but it's literally worth it. DOOOOO ITTTT."

4. Joey Chamberlain

Organization: Lambda Chi Alpha

Q: Are you a legacy?

A: "My dad was in Sigma Epsilon."

A: "I love how in my fraternity we all strive to be the best men we can be every day and that we all truly do love and care about each other."

A: "I would tell anyone contemplating Greek life to at the very least rush and do not join a house based on it's physical house but join based off the guys."

5. Christian Vasquez

Organization: Beta Theta Pi

Q: Are you a legacy?

A: "Yes."

A: "I love the guys in the house and the atmosphere it gives off."

A: "Choose a house based on the people in it and not by the name."

6. Will Kaufman

Organization: Phi Sigma Kappa

Q: Are you a legacy?

A: "Not of this chapter."

A: "Joining Phi Sig has allowed me to meet nearly 50 new people, with whom I can do homework, go to a food court, go to a sporting event and generally just hang out and be social. 

A: "Although you may not find the right house for you in the beginning , you eventually will. There is no way to visit everyone in a single sorority or fraternity, so keep looking, don't get discouraged and you will eventually find one that fits you well." 

7. Kirsten Karr

Organization: Kappa Kappa Gamma

Q: Are you a legacy?

A: "Yes!"

A: "I love that the girls support one another. There are always girlies there for you. [The only thing I don't like] is it's really hard to feel 'connected' to the girls right now because [PC 17 members] are not living in yet."

A: "Try it out! It's an awesome way to get to know people and if you don't try it, then you'll never know if it was or wasn't for you!"

8. Clara Hays

Organization: Delta Gamma

Q: Are you a legacy?

A: "My mom was a Chi Omega and my dad was a Phi Gamma Rho."

A: "I love how dedicated the girls are to academics. We pride ourselves in having one of the highest GPAs as a house and if someone is not getting their stuff done, everyone around them works to help. I love the work we do in the community. We volunteer at every place we can and that makes it so fun! I wish I could move in already because I want to get to know everyone right away!"

A: "Rushing is hard, especially for girls. Do not be hurt when a house drops you. People always say trust the process and it sounds cheesy, but it is so true. Make this process for you and only you, not all the girls around you. So many of them will talk crap about certain houses that you may love, just ignore them. Don't tell people what houses you are ranking or anything like that. If you simply say 'I am still thinking,' or 'I honestly have no idea,' no one will care! This will help you make the decision that is best for you and not the girls around you!"

The Greek system can feel overwhelming at times, however, each chapter provides a unique experience for its members and is responsible for bringing up the next generation of Greeks. Best of luck to you, PC 17! We cannot wait to see what you do.

Lead Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Madalyn Deselem - Purdue University

Madalyn is a freshman at Purdue University studying Biology with Pre-Medical advising with the hopes of becoming a dermatologist. She enjoys her jobs as a barista and a freelance tutor, hammocking in obscure locations, growing succulent plants, singing her heart out on stage, and working out at the gym. She is passionate about philanthropy and making a difference in the realm of mental illness awareness. You can find her on Twitter using the handle @maddie_deselem and on Instagram as @maddie.deselem