Display 12345625 935503083195779 1732952005764310907 n
by MacKenzie Silvia

An Open Letter to My College Friends

By MacKenzie Silvia - Mar 22 2016
Everyone told me that in college I would meet the people who I would be friends with for the rest of my life. While I allowed that thought to linger, I never imagined that at such a young age I would meet the people that would be my friends forever. That was, until I actually got to Syracuse.

Dear My New Life Long Friends,

College is hard. It’s a new chapter in our lives where we are all pushed out of our comfort zones and forced to live on our own. For me, I have had many ups and downs, but it is all of you that have helped me through it all and have made my freshman year so amazing.

Coming into school, I was nervous. Living in a new state 300 miles away from home was not easy. I quickly became close with my roommate and our fast friendship immediately turned into an unbreakable bond. Together, we made close friendships with others that eventually turned into our best friends. And to this day, I could not be more grateful.

To all of my best friends (and especially to you Carly), thank you. Thank you for helping me adjust so quickly to my new life here in Syracuse and thank you for sticking with me through the good and the bad. You are all the reason I am standing so strong today and the reason my college experience has been so amazing thus far. We laugh together and we cry together (but mostly just laugh) and I wouldn't replace any of you for anything. Thank you all for being my best friends.

And to my new sorority sisters, thank you all. Thank you for being my go-to women and thank you for accepting me as quickly as all of my other best friends here have. Along with all of the amazing people I have met here, I have also found myself some amazing new sisters. You all mean the world to me and I couldn't love anybody more than I love you all. You show me what a sisterhood really is all about and I am grateful for that that everyday.

And to my boyfriend that I was lucky enough to meet here, thank you. Thank you for loving me even when I’m in the worst of moods and I am throwing a stress fit about all of my Spanish homework. Thank you for helping me through everything and always being by my side. You are my best friend until the end and I hope we have the opportunity to go to Pastabilities 1,000 more times together. I am so grateful to have met somebody as amazing as you.

Now I see why everybody has told me that you meet your lifelong friends when you enter college. I sure have met mine and I will hold them with me for the rest of my life. These are the people I want to grow old with. I love you all forever and ever. 

MacKenzie Silvia

Lead Image Credit: MacKenzie Silvia

MacKenzie Silvia - Syracuse University

MacKenzie is a freshman at Syracuse University majoring in Information Management and Technology. She enjoys drinking coffee, dancing to Beyoncé, laughing out loud and playing with her puppy. You can follow her on Instagram/Twitter (@beelovah), or find her on Facebook!