Display leadimagemom
by MacKenzie Silvia

An Open Letter to My Mom

By MacKenzie Silvia - Nov 06 2015

Dear Mom,

I know I don't say this enough, but thank you. Thank you for being you. Thank you for being my biggest role model and being my biggest cheerleader. And most importantly, thank you for being my best friend.

Sitting in my dorm room 300 miles away from you is a challenging thing. I’m living on my own now and not getting to see you everyday is most definitely the hardest part about college. I’ve been pushed here, but I’m prepared because of you. In a world filled with so many obstacles and challenges, you have always been my biggest supporter as well as my biggest role model. Seeing you raise two kids on your own while still managing to work and support our family is something most people can only imagine doing. For you, it’s nothing. You are my superwoman. Thank you for showing me that nobody can stop me from achieving what I want to, even though I get discouraged sometimes. Thank you for pushing me in all aspects of my life. Together, we are a team. We laugh together, we cry together, and most importantly, we drink excessive amounts of coffee together.

As I laid in bed yesterday not wanting to go to the gym, I couldn't help but think about the time you pushed me to try out for a club lacrosse team. I was intimidated and nervous, something I would never admit at the time. But you encouraged me to go and make the best of it. To my surprise, I made the team and from there it was history. I think about our first SoulCycle class together and the first time we took on 6am yoga sculpt. Seeing you challenge yourself is the reason I work so hard. Because of you, I have gained confidence in myself and my abilities. But most importantly, I know I am making you proud.

As I scroll through Facebook every night, desperately trying to procrastinate in any way possible, I always think about all the times you pushed me in high school to try my best. You always told me to stay focused and determined and I would be absolutely unstoppable. Well, you were right. Here I am at the university of my dreams and theres nobody I can thank but you. You were there as I stayed up late writing my college essay while stressfully reading it to you hundreds of times. You were there for the college tours and all of the tedious applications that I complained about. Without you pushing me, I would not be here. You were and still are my backbone.

We've really been together through it all. I’ll never forget the look on your face on my first night of fourth grade when I got “asked out” through Instant Messenger and I quickly logged off in panic. I vividly remember my first time driving when I went off the curb and you laughed hysterically while I screamed in fear. You were there the day I got my license and for my first accident a few days later (whoops). I’ll never forget the day we decided to be classy and went for tea and crumpets together, and I’ll never forget the time we went exploring together in Costa Rica and ended up at that restaurant with Santos. You have shown me adventure and what life really is all about. Everyday I find a way to bring you up in whatever conversation I am having, just so I can brag about some funny memory we have together.

But along with these good times of course comes bad, and once again you are always there for me. You've always been a shoulder to cry on and welcomed me with open arms when I needed a hug. You're the first person I text when I wake up and the last person I call before I go to bed. You are the one I run to with news, good and bad, because you are my best friend. Who else is there to obsess over Lacey for 4 hours a day? You sympathize with me as I complain about how stressed I am, and you are also the one who gives me a much needed reality check when I forget how great life really is. I know the distance is hard and not being able to be with you everyday is difficult, but you're the reason I’m here. I’m here to show you that you have helped me mature into the young adult I am, and for that reason I promise to make you proud.

Mom, you are the reason for everything I do and the reason I work so hard everyday. One day I want to support you as you have supported me my entire life. I want to take care of you, like you have done for me and give you a break from the tremendous amount of work you do everyday. You truly are one of a kind, and as I sit here and think about how lucky I am to have my best friend as my mom, I really can’t help but smile. I promise to make you proud as you have made me my entire life. Thank you for being my best friend and being the person I always run to talk to. I love you with all of my heart and that will never change. I can’t wait to see you in a couple of weeks so we can eat an absurd amount of SweetGreen and cuddle on the couch with Lacey. Never forget, “It’s more fun when it’s just the girls!”

I love you more than you'll ever know,

MacKenzie

MacKenzie Silvia - Syracuse University

MacKenzie is a freshman at Syracuse University majoring in Information Management and Technology. She enjoys drinking coffee, dancing to Beyoncé, laughing out loud and playing with her puppy. You can follow her on Instagram/Twitter (@beelovah), or find her on Facebook!