Display photo 1499159058454 75067059248a
by Lindsay Wigo

5 Reasons Why Communications Degrees Are Useful

By Lindsay Wigo - Oct 03 2017
You can do a lot with a communications degree. No, I'm not kidding. 

There is a common misconception that degrees in communications are just for those who are undecided in college. I can't count the number of times people have mentioned that communications majors are just "settling" and that they could do better. Those people don't seem to always get the full picture of the major.

1. Majoring in communications is not the "easy way out" of choosing a major in college.

No, I wasn't undecided before choosing this major. A common misconception is that everyone in the major is looking to snooze through classes and get an easy A. However, the major isn't just for people who want to breeze through school. It's important to realize that nearly every school has some variation of a "communications" department, and the major is more popular than one might think. As a communications major, I am able to work in many different areas once I graduate. This degree is not going to leave anyone stranded.

2. There is no "communicator" job, and no, I'm not being a smart-ass.

During the course of my bachelor's degree, I learn about social media, film, TV, radio, cultural communication, journalism, creative writing and business. I can think of so many jobs I could apply to after graduating. The Bureau of Labor Statistics stated that "the median annual wage for media and communication occupations was $53,530 in May 2015, which was higher than the median annual wage for all occupations of $36,200."

3. Communications is definitely a major you should look into if you love to read and write.

I have done so much reading and I've become such a stronger writer from being in this major. No, it's not at all an easy major. People in my major give more presentations than probably many other majors, so if you like to talk, then this is right up your alley.

4. Communications opens up doorways to marketing yourself and networking with others.

Once you are in the major, you focus on a lot of professional communications techniques, such as public speaking, how to send professional emails and interview/resume tips and tricks. Since this major is focused on talking with others, you learn great ways on how to get yourself and your work out there.

5. Communications classes are always relevant and modern.

From learning about the effects of Twitter, to Netflix addiction, to why movie trailers are so captivating, communications classes are so intriguing and applicable to daily life. Join one of the most diverse and interesting majors out there to learn why media in today's society is the largest it has ever been.

Don't shy away from a communications degree because of the bad reputation it may have. Classes are fun, interesting and the impact of social media is often studied. After jumping around majors twice, I finally love what I'm studying, and I bet you would, too.

Lindsay Wigo - DeSales University

Lindsay is a staff writer and social media marketer for Fresh U. She is a sophomore communication student at DeSales University and hopes to work in the digital journalism industry in the future. Visit her website: www.lindsaywigo.com