by Lily Cao

How to Reuse Spring and Summer Clothing in the Winter

By Lily Cao - Jan 07 2018

Ever find yourself wearing the same sweatshirt over and over again in college once it gets colder? As college students, we have all struggled with sweatshirt syndrome because we can’t stay warm with the spring and summer clothing we have lying around once winter hits. To top things off, there’s only so much money we have to spend on new clothes after we pay for essentials like textbooks and stationery items.

The only solution: use the resources you already have to create different on-trend, warm outfits! If you take a closer look at your wardrobe, there are many ways to incorporate spring and summer clothing pieces into looks for colder days. Here are just some of them.

For more feminine looks:

1. Throw a cardigan or warmer jacket on top of blouses and dresses.

Photo Credit: Unsplash

Pairing a cardigan with any cute dress or shirt/skirt combo is a smart way to cover up while avoiding costs that come with purchasing sweater dresses.

2. Wear shorts, skirts or dresses over an essential pair of opaque black leggings.

Photo Credit: Pexels

Black leggings are essential to spicing up your holiday looks while keeping up with a budget. Layering shorts, skirts or dresses meant for hotter weather over a pair of black tights automatically transforms your look into one more suitable for fall and winter. Additionally, you're sure to stay warm as you hit the streets to hang out with friends or family. 

3. The sandals-over-colorful-tights look is quirky and perfect for colder weather.

Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Although wearing sandals with tights may seem unconventional, you can totally try the look if you're feeling playful or creative one day. 

4. Socks with sandals could work well for more casual outfits.

Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Don't be afraid of this look! You're just trying to live your best (and most affordable) life, and socks with sandals is a great way to reuse shoes meant for the beach to tread through fallen leaves. 

5. Pair dresses with knee-length socks or boots.

Photo Credit: Unsplash

Knee-length socks and boots are not only very in style, but also allow you the freedom to choose from a variety of dresses and skirts in your spring and summer wardrobe during the winter. 

6. Rock a crop sweatshirt over a summer dress or romper.

Photo Credit: Unsplash

A crop sweatshirt gives you the coveted high-waisted look while providing you leeway in using your summer clothes during the colder season. 

7. Wear sweaters, turtlenecks or long sleeve shirts under dresses.

Photo Credit: Unsplash

Dresses can serve as an extra outer layer for warmth.

8. Use a scarf when wearing thinner shirts. 

Photo Credit:  Unsplash

A scarf is the perfect method to accessorize any winter outfit while giving you much needed warmth if you are wearing thinner shirts meant for warmer weather. 

9. Cover up a tank top, t-shirt or crop top with a blanket scarf, and loop a belt around the waist.

Photo Credit: Unsplash

Don't pack away the tank tops or crop tops during winter just because it gets colder! Simply cover up with a versatile blanket scarf, and use it as a jacket. 

For more masculine looks:

1. Layer a sweater or cardigan on top of your favorite dress shirt or t-shirt.

Photo Credit: Unsplash

Wearing cardigans or sweaters on top of your favorite t-shirts or dress shirts can work for casual or professional winter looks.

2. Rock a baseball cap in the winter too!

Photo Credit: Unsplash

You can wear a baseball cap year round! In the winter, it can provide that little extra warmth for your noggin. 

3. Wearing scarves with thinner tops is a great way to stay warm.

Photo Credit: Unsplash

Scarves can be used to winterize spring or summer shirts to serve fresh looks.

4. Wear compression tights under a pair of shorts.

Photo Credit: Unsplash

Compression tights underneath shorts is a popular athletic look, but take this look to a whole new level during the winter. Besides wearing compression tights beneath workout shorts, extend the usage of them to being paired with any kind of shorts. 

5. Pair thicker socks with sneakers or Oxford-style loafers.

Photo Credit: Unsplash

Keep wearing your bright or floral patterned kicks, but just add in a pair of thick socks!

The takeaway: layering is key! No matter what kind of look you want to own on a winter day, just know that your spring and summer fashion pieces can be paired together with a few winter pieces in various ways. With this in mind, you’re sure to stay comfy, warm and stylish during the colder season and holidays. 

Lily Cao - Rice University