Display second article lead image
by Lily Cao

8 Tips to Follow When Going to College Parties with Friends

By Lily Cao - Nov 12 2017

Although attending college parties is a great way to let loose and have fun after a stressful week of assignments and exams, there are a few rules to remember! Here’s how to enjoy a fun night of partying without causing problems for yourself or others.

1. Stick with Friends

People have long used the good old buddy system for a reason. It ensures that there’s someone you trust by your side in case any emergencies arise. This is perhaps the most important rule out of all eight. You want to make sure you know where your squad members are and stay close to them so that you all can look out for one another throughout the night. Whether it’s getting into the dance rhythms or fending off people who give bad vibes, you’ll need your friends to have a good time without getting into troubling situations.

2. Create an Emergency Signal

Before leaving for the party, make sure to create an emergency signal with your group. Each person can use this signal to let others in the squad know that they need someone to save them from an uncomfortable conversation or unwanted sexual advances. This signal can be a key word, hand gesture or action.

3. Stick to Your (Alcoholic) Limits 

If you plan on drinking, remind yourself of your alcohol tolerance before going to the party. It’s easy to get carried away with the drinks when they’re being handed to you left and right. You’re at the party to have a good time, but that’s not going to happen if you get wasted before the fun. If you’re not comfortable with drinking, then don’t drink! Never succumb to peer pressure if everyone around you is drinking. You know yourself the best, and if you’re not ready or in the mood for alcohol, then that’s totally fine. You don’t need it to have a good time. Additionally, if drinking around complete strangers seems to be a scary prospect, a good idea is to pregame beforehand. Pregaming is drinking before going to the party to let loose just the right amount with friends.

4. Wear Comfortable Shoes

Ladies, as fabulous as heels make you feel and look, please do yourselves a favor and leave the heels at home. You don’t want to have painful blisters at the end of the night. Additionally, the key to having a good time at a college party is to actually dance with your friends and maybe even cute strangers. You can’t do that in shoes that are often even difficult to walk in. The best shoes for both girls and guys to wear in order to dance the night away are sandals and sneakers. Parties are crowded with a ton of people, so it’s a smart idea to wear comfortable and even closed-toe shoes to protect your feet.

5. Drink Water

Staying hydrated is essential to being able to enjoy and socialize at parties for the whole night. If you and your squad want to party for a substantial amount of time, you all need to constantly quench your thirst to keep dancing and having fun. If you drink at parties, you especially need to stay hydrated. Dehydration is an aftereffect of alcohol. Additionally, drinking water after consuming alcohol helps prevent hangovers the next morning.

6. Be Late to the Party

Usually, It’s a good thing to be punctual, but scratch punctuality for parties. They almost never start at the original designated time, and even then, the party needs time to pick up pace with good music and the arrival of a crowd. Once you do get to the party a little later, good music will be blasting and people will already be having a good time.

7. Be Open to Meeting New People

Although it’s a good idea to squad up at parties, don’t be afraid of meeting new people! College is all about expanding your network of friends, and parties offer the chance to meet so many new people. Who knows? By being open to mingling with others, you may even meet a future best friend or significant other.

8. Have a Plan for Returning Home

If you and your friends are planning to get back home after the party, make sure to figure out a transportation plan ahead of time. Whether it’s taking public transport, getting an Uber ride or walking back, making a plan as a group will save time and money later on in the night. If someone offers to give you a ride back to your place, make sure he or she is someone you feel comfortable around.

These eight rules consist of certain tips on how to have a fun and safe night at a college party. Everyone’s comfort zone varies so these rules can be subject to tweaking. What’s most important is just ensuring your own physical safety and health, and of course, having a good time!

Lily Cao - Rice University