by Liliana Piña

8 Ways to Make Waking Up for Early Classes Slightly Less Terrible

By Liliana Piña - Sep 28 2016

We all can agree on the fact that early morning classes can be tough. Something that was hard to do in high school becomes nearly fatal in college and almost every upperclassmen gives an ardent, "Don't take any 8 A.M. classes!" when asked to give advice to the upcoming freshman class. I myself have 8 A.M. courses every day and am beginning to understand the plight that college students speak of; however, there are more than a few things you can do to make waking up for that early class slightly less painful, or at least more productive.

1. Take a Shower

After sleeping a less-than-desirable number of hours, you can waking up feeling more than a little groggy. The best way to fight this feeling is by taking a shower. When you're refreshed, you'll feel better about having to take that 10 minute trek across campus to get to class!

Giphy

2. Give Yourself More Time

While waiting until the absolute last second to wake up can be tempting, it's actually better to set your alarm a little earlier. This gives you more time to stretch (and mentally prepare) before you leave your cozy bed!

Giphy

3. Set Your Alarm to Some Music

The sound of your alarm doesn't have to be an annoying beeping that elicits a groan from you each time you hear it. If you make a song you like your alarm tone, you're way more likely to wake up in a better mood. (Note: Try to change the song every few weeks or so, or it'll get just as annoying as the standard beeping noise!)

Giphy

4. Eat Breakfast

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but many college students neglect to eat it. While waking up even earlier to take a trip to the dining hall is too far-fetched for some, if you keep fruit and granola bars in your room, you can just grab them as you walk out. This not only diminishes the hassle, but makes sure your energized until your next meal!

Giphy

5. Exercise

Before you stop reading, you can't deny that light cardio gets your blood pumping and makes you more alert. Sure, not everyone wants to wake up and head to the gym, but it's worth a try! Who knows, it may even become part of your routine!

Giphy

6. Drink Water

It's always good to drink water, but doing so when you first wake up not only makes you more alert, but also increases metabolic function and replenishes your system. Basically, it's a one-step process to improving your entire day!

Giphy

7. Prepare the Night Before

I'm sure you've heard this countless times, but it's true that taking your clothes out and organizing your backpack the night before makes the mornings less stressful. Not to mention, it means you can get that extra five minutes of sleep you so desperately want!

Giphy

8. Leave Earlier

Wait, come again? What would leaving earlier do besides reducing your amount of sleep? Well, glad you asked! Walking across campus at 8 A.M., when hardly anyone is out, is a truly wonderful experience. So grab a coffee and sit on a bench for 10 minutes before class, just looking at everything around you. It puts everything into perspective.

Giphy

So there you have it. I hope you find these tips useful and wish you the best of luck with your morning classes this semester!

Lead Image Credit: Pexels.com

Liliana Piña - Northeastern University

Liliana Piña is a freshman at Northeastern University and will be pursuing a double major in journalism and psychology. She formerly served as Editor-in-Chief of her high school newspaper, The Eagle, and has had a passion for writing for as long as she can remember.