Display 13971169819 3a44ebf57f o
by Liliana Piña

8 Reasons I Chose A Single Dorm

By Liliana Piña - Aug 26 2016

When I learned I had the option to dorm alone my freshman year, I jumped for joy! While many people don’t see the appeal, there are many pros to having your own room in college.

1. No more sharing

As someone who has shared her room her entire life, I’m more than excited to have a space to call my own. No more fighting about whether or not I can hang up a poster or decorate the mirror? Sign me up!

Giphy

2. No need to compromise

When you have your own room, you’re in charge! You can keep the lights on as late as you want and play whatever music suits your mood. And, most importantly, if you want to stay up until 3 A.M. watching The Office, no one can stop you!

Giphy

3. Total freedom

People with roommates always have to check in with them before friends come over, especially if they’re spending the night. If you dorm alone, you don’t have to check in with anyone. This works both ways — you don’t want to spend the night with strangers in your room and now you never have to!

Giphy

4. Making friends — authentically

When I tell people I’m dorming alone, many of them gasp and ask, “How are you going to make friends?!” While it’s true that most people cling to their roommates during the first few weeks of college, there are so many more opportunities to make friends — in classes, at clubs, during student events, etc. You shouldn’t limit your search for new friends to your roommate. It’s important to branch out, and that's exactly what I plan on doing.

Giphy

5. Me time

Sometimes, you just need a little alone time. It’s far less stressful to make time for yourself when you don’t have to worry about fitting it into your roommate's schedule.

Giphy

6. Time to work or play? You decide.

Having your own space means no one can tell you to quiet down because they're studying — you decide what to do for yourself.

Giphy

7. No one will eat your food!

Have you ever poured yourself a bowl of cereal in the morning only to find out that there's no milk? No roommates means no surprises! (You just have to make sure to keep stock of what you have)

Giphy

8. You can come in and out as you choose

Staying out late with friends? No problem. You don't have to worry about waking anyone up when you get back to your dorm — you can just faceplant onto your bed without judgement.

Source: Giphy

Overall, the best thing about having a single is not having to worry about anyone besides yourself; there’s no pressure to be considerate. It’s okay to be a little selfish sometimes!

Lead Image Credit: Matt Nazario-Miller via Flickr Creative Commons

Liliana Piña - Northeastern University

Liliana Piña is a freshman at Northeastern University and will be pursuing a double major in journalism and psychology. She formerly served as Editor-in-Chief of her high school newspaper, The Eagle, and has had a passion for writing for as long as she can remember.