by Leticia Isabel Reyes Gonzalez

7 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me About Time Management During My First Semester

By Leticia Isabel Reyes Gonzalez - Dec 22 2015

1. Prioritize

You will have a lot of things to do during your first semester of college. Try to keep your priorities straight in order for you to clearly know what tasks should be given more time than others. This will allow you to do the most important things first and have time to relax afterwards.

2. Spend time with your friends

Even though college can be very stressful and overwhelming at first, try not to focus only on your academic life. Spend time with your friends and meet new people. You need time to socialize and rest in order to be productive when you need to.

3. Don’t focus only on schoolwork.

Your GPA does not define you. You should spend some time looking for clubs and activities that interest you. Getting involved in non-academic activities will help you meet new people that have similar interests than you and can help you get a break from school responsibilities.

4. Do work as early as you can.

Don’t leave assignments for the last minute. This will only cause you a lot of stress and you might end up having to do a lot of work within a short amount of time. Try to assign periods of time to work on school assignments as soon as you know about them.

5. Use an agenda.

Organizing your responsibilities using an agenda will help you organize the time that you will spend on each of them. Also, it will allow you to have a more visual representation of the things that you need to do along with their deadlines.

6. Have a time for review.

Save some time before class everyday to review your notes and activities from previous days. By doing so, you will remember the material seen in class easily. Furthermore, by the time exams come, the time needed to study will be less.

7. Stay away from things that will waste your time.

When studying, try to stay away from things that will distract you and will make you waste your time. You can try to study and do homework somewhere besides your room, where you won’t have anything that will get your mind off your work.

Lead Image: Saban Films

Leticia Isabel Reyes Gonzalez - Northeastern University

Leticia Isabel Reyes Gonzalez is a motivated freshman at Northeastern University. She is majoring in Industrial Engineering. While in high school, she went to Stanford Summer Program in 2013 and was the president of the College Fair Committee of her high school. Follow her on Instagram as @letyisabelr!