As busy, budgeting college students, we love to be efficient with our time and our money. And when hunger strikes, we don’t always have the time or the ingredients necessary to satisfy our cravings. This is when food delivery apps come to the rescue. There are many apps that allow you to order food from your smartphone and have it delivered straight to your dorm in minutes. These apps can be fast, convenient and affordable — but some more so than others. Don’t know which one to choose ? Here are a few of the most popular food delivery apps on the Internet, and some pros and cons of each.

1. Uber Eats

Uber Eats - Pros:

Whether you’re familiar with Uber’s ride-sharing service or not, the Uber Eats app and website are both easy to navigate, and feature appetizing photos of some of the restaurants’ best dishes. Like the ride sharing app, once you order your food, you can track the progress and location of your order right on the app, including where your deliverer is and what route he/she is taking. The app also provides you with an estimated delivery time, and the service is relatively fast. In a test conducted by The Washington Post, Uber Eats placed second in terms of speed, with the food arriving five minutes earlier than estimated.

Uber Eats - Cons:

For certain areas at certain times, you may have to pay a “busy area fee.” This fee will be added to your bill on top of the standard booking fee, all in addition to the cost of your food and taxes. This can add up to quite a hefty bill, especially if the restaurant is far away, in which case the booking fee can be as high as eight dollars. 

2. Postmates

Postmates - Pros:

One of the things that makes Postmates stand out is that it’s not just for food delivery — you can get groceries and personal items delivered to your door as well. Also, at restaurants and stores that are partnered with Postmates, keep an eye out for yellow cards with the Postmates logo. They contain a coupon code that can give you up to one hundred dollars in Postmates credit! In addition, the Postmates app lets you track the location of your delivery (similarly to the Uber Eats app) so you can always keep an eye on your food.

Postmates - Cons:

In the aforementioned Washington Post test, Postmates ended up being one of the slowest services, but experiences with Postmates’ delivery speed has varied. Additionally, Postmates charges a standard 9% service fee, which can add up to a lot on big orders, and occasionally adds surge pricing depending on the circumstance. 

3. Grubhub

Grubhub - Pros:

Grubhub (and its related previous companies) were some of the first to make food delivery over the Internet mainstream. Its relatively long history means it has built up many partnerships over the years, which can mean a wider selection of restaurants and areas that are served. Grubhub is also known for having fast delivery times, with food sometimes arriving well before the estimated delivery time (in Washington Post’s test, Grubhub won for speed).

Grubhub - Cons:

For some restaurants, there is a minimum amount you must order, or you will not be served. Therefore, Grubhub may not serve your needs if you are just looking for a light snack or meal for one. Additionally, not all restaurants on Grubhub offer delivery and restaurants may set their own delivery fee or order minimum, making for less consistency throughout the app.

There are many options for food delivery, and they each have their pros and cons. By finding which app works best for you in your area and for your budget, you will be on your way to eating more conveniently and enjoyably.