Display 6862603232 582a757c65 o
by Leah Moss

5 Signs That the Summer is Ending

By Leah Moss - Jul 24 2016

Oh no, the dreaded end of summer vacation is approaching! What once seemed like a vast sea of free time is suddenly winding down, and the new horizon that is your college experience looms in the distance. While it's hard to think about leaving this comfortable and relaxed time, there are some things that always send your thoughts back toward the fact that it's almost time for school to start. 

Here are 5 of the many signs that indicate that the beloved summer break is finally ending.

1. The Back-To-School Sales Begin

Ahh, the dreaded back-to-school sales! For years, this has been the time to stock up on enough pens and pencils to last for the entire school year – and possibly longer! Even though you're about to go to college, you still need to hit up these sales. Be sure to stock up on some of the college essentials, such as notebooks, writing utensils and a sturdy book bag to carry it all in. With extremely low prices and bulk deals, it's hard to pass up on these sales.

2. Your Friends Start to Leave For Orientation

For those of you who don't start school until late August or early September, you'll probably start to see many of your friends leave for orientation in mid August. It can certainly be a reality check (and a time check!) as the people you've grown up with leave you behind to start their own new adventures in college. Fear not, because soon you'll be off at school as well for your own orientation.

3. You Get Invited to a Lot of End-Of-Summer Get-togethers. 

Where the rest of your summer was relatively quiet, now you're suddenly getting hit up with invitations to hang out before the summer is over. With a beach party here, a bonfire there and a movie date next week, you might start to feel overwhelmed, but try to understand that everyone's just trying to cram in some last summer memories with their lifelong friends before leaving for college.

4. You Start to Get A Lot of Emails in Your College Inbox

Where your new student email account was once a quiet, notification-less haven, it's now full of important reminders, forms, and move-in information! Once you start getting a ton of important dates (like move-in date!) in your inbox, you know it's almost time for school to start.

5. It's August

Whether you start school in August or September, as soon as the month of August rolls around, you know that the summer is almost over! Heat, last minute sales and the aforementioned departure of friends for orientation will fill the month and constantly remind you that the summer is practically over.

Even though summer is ending, look on the bright side! Soon you'll be starting a brand new experience in college, filled with new friends, classes, and locations to explore. Make the best of what remains of your summer, and prepare for what's to come!

Lead Image Credit: Phil Sanders via Flickr Creative Commons

Leah Moss - Lake Forest College

Leah is a student at Lake Forest College, planning on double majoring in English and Communications, with a minor in Print and Digital Publishing. She's a book nerd who loves to read and write, and a lover of all things creative, innovative, and interesting. You'll most likely find her curled up with a good book, or clutching her precious laptop as she prepares to write.