by Lauren Reamy

Three Common Date Rape Drugs You Should Know About

By Lauren Reamy - Nov 10 2016

Maybe you've heard stories of people going to parties and waking up in strange places. They get up off the ground of an apartment they don't remember going to and the night before is a blur. The reality is, this could happen to any one of us. We could be having fun at a party and then unsuspectingly take a sip of a drink that would soon knock us out. And the worst part is, these drugs are not made to be identified. Part of the reason why they're used so widely for date rape is because of how easy it is to slip them into drinks unnoticed. So, to educate and keep all of us safe, I gathered information about the three most commonly used date rape drugs, how to identify them and how to keep yourself and your friends safe from being taken advantage of.

Rohypnol

This is a depressant medication that is currently illegal in the United States for any type of use. The drug itself makes the user feel sleepy and relaxed and has muscle-relaxant effects. This makes the user extremely vulnerable to date rape related crimes. While Rohypnol used to be colorless and odorless, it is now manufactured with a blue speckled center that dyes the drink blue when it is dissolved. However, generic forms of this drug do not have the blue dye and are therefore harder to detect. Effects of this drug start to take place 15-20 minutes after ingestion and could last for four to six hours.

Ketamine

Ketamine is a dissociative anesthetic, which means that it makes the user feel detached from their pain and their environment. It currently comes in both liquid and powder forms, which can be snorted, smoked or dissolved into a drink. The scary part about ketamine is that it can leave users paralyzed, which may shut down their circulatory and respiratory functions. There have also been cases of "K-holes" in which a user experiences extreme out of body experiences and hallucinations.

GHB

A very small amount of GHB could put you at risk, and if it is used in conjunction with alcohol or other drugs, it can even become deadly. GHB produces euphoric and calming effects within the user and can also produce visual hallucinations. It comes in both liquid and powder forms, and the liquid is clear and colorless. Effects of this drug take 15-20 minutes to kick in, and may last for three to six hours. 

Unfortunately, many people can't identify the difference between being drunk and being roofied, and therefore fall victim to a date rape crime. However, if you ever feel drunker than the amount of alcohol you have ingested, have a numb feeling within your body or just generally feel that something is wrong, find a friend immediately. Do not accept any other drinks and do not leave the party with a stranger, even if they are offering to help. Get to a safe place and call 911 as soon as possible. Also, stick with your friends. If you see that one of them is in trouble, take it seriously and get them help. It could save them.

Date rape crimes are a real thing, and as a community, we have to look out for each other. So remember to not accept drinks from anyone and to look out for the people around you. With the right precautions, you can have a great night and not have to worry about your or your friends being in danger. Stay safe.

Lauren Reamy - George Mason University

Lauren Reamy is a sophomore at George Mason University, majoring in Vocal Performance. Besides singing, she loves musical theatre, hanging out with her pets, and reading way too many books.