by Lauren Reamy

Here's How Often You Should Really Wash These Clothes

By Lauren Reamy - Dec 09 2016

I get it. A pile of laundry can be intimidating to stare down as it gets bigger and bigger throughout the week. And I think that all of us can relate to having skipped laundry day because of said pile and the fact that we did not want to spend all night in the laundry room. So, I looked around to see if there were any clothing items that could be worn for awhile before washing, to try and help downsize that pile to a more manageable size. Here's what I found.

Jeans

Contrary to the CEO of Levi's opinion that you shouldn't wash your jeans at all, most sources that I checked stated that you should actually wash your jeans after four to five wears. Of course, if they're really dirty or start to smell, then it's fine to throw them in the washer. But jeans can be worn multiple times before adding them to your load.

Sweaters

Sweaters are another one that you can get away with. Since most are thick and chunky, sweaters can be worn up to four times before you should wash them. Not washing them after every wear also keeps their soft feel and structure, since the wash can sometimes do funny things with clothes.

Sweatshirts

Since sweatshirts usually lose a good amount of their softness in the wash, I'm always hesitant to make that decision. But in all reality, sweatshirts are a low maintenance clothing item. They only need to be washed when they are dirty or begin to smell. Otherwise, you're good to keep wearing them. And if you want to try to retain the soft feel through the wash, try fabric softener.

Leggings

Leggings can actually get more wear out of them than you probably thought. It's suggested that you wash your leggings after one to three wears, but remember that leggings stretch out when you wear them, so you may have to put them in the wash sooner to get back their form.

Shirts

Shirts should be washed after every one to two wears, but there's no strict rule. This is one of the easier ones, because you can tell if your shirt can go for a second wear or if it needs washing.

Dresses

Dresses should be washed after every one to two wears. Of course, if the dress is one that you are only wearing for a special occasion and do not wear often, then it can go without washing after one wear.

While a lot of these surprised me, I found that to know when you need to wash something, you just have to use common sense. I don't think your life would change if you wore something an extra time, but if it needs to be washed, I can usually tell. But nonetheless, I hope this guide helped you in your laundry endeavors.

Lauren Reamy - George Mason University

Lauren Reamy is a sophomore at George Mason University, majoring in Vocal Performance. Besides singing, she loves musical theatre, hanging out with her pets, and reading way too many books.