Display coffee desk notes workspace
by Lauren Reamy

7 Struggles of Taking Summer Classes

By Lauren Reamy - Jul 09 2017

Ah, summer classes. The classes we love to hate because though we are earning credit through them, they are the biggest buzzkills. It always seems like summer classes will be manageable when we sign up for them, but when the time comes to actually do the work, morale can be pretty low. So here's a list that all of us summer class takers can relate to about the struggles we face on a day to day basis.

1. Getting home from work to have to do even more work.

If you're working a summer job, you know how difficult it is to be tired and hungry and grouchy after a long day of work, and then remember that you still have classwork to complete. This is arguably one of the worst feelings one can experience, and it is usually accompanied by an assortment of groans, "Why me's," and laying in bed until you finally force yourself to get up and do the work.

2. Online professors.

While some get lucky with their instructor, a lot of us are stuck with professors that literally do not care. Have a vacation and need to get work done early? Not on their watch. Email them a question about an assignment? They'll probably respond way after you've figured out the answer yourself and already submitted the assignment. These types of professors are the worst, and they seem to show up a lot more in online classes because they have an excuse to be unorganized and unresponsive. 

3. Studying.

Let's just be completely honest here. Studying for classes during the summer is the struggle of all struggles. When you have work, friends and activities begging for seconds to hours of your precious time, studying doesn't even come to mind. This leaves you with a whole lot of cramming to do right before the test and even more stress. But it's not like you're about to ditch hanging out with your friends to sit at home on Quizlet. That's for during the semester.

4. Reading.

Another thing that's hard to find motivation for is doing the readings for each lesson. They always seem way too long, and whenever you try to do them, you always just end up daydreaming about what you're going to do this weekend. Readings for online classes are often important because you don't have a lecture otherwise, but you have to put in the time and effort to get them done, which can be a challenge.

5. Motivation is at an all-time low.

If you thought classes during the semester were hard, try throwing in vacations, free time and work with it. The result is absolutely zero motivation to sit down and focus on your course. You keep thinking to yourself, "I just need a C to get the credit for this class," but really, you know you could hypothetically get a higher grade if you really tried. But do you want to try? The answer to that question varies depending on the day.

6. Online classmates.

While some online classes include lectures and interactive aspects, a lot of them don't, which makes it very difficult to get to know your classmates. This isn't too bad until you can't get in touch with your professor or have a question that would better be explained in the terms of your peers. Sometimes, people try to start study groups, but most of the time they don't end up working out because nobody answers in the group text, or people just have too different schedules.

7. All night work sessions.

Since motivation is always low with summer classes, you find yourself more often than not leaving all of your work for Saturday and Sunday night, which results in either long, stressful days, or a classic "up till 11:59" all-nighter. 

Summer classes can be a struggle, but it's important to keep in mind the reason you're taking them, and that in the fall, you'll have a couple of courses already knocked out. The struggle is hard, but it is worth it in the end.

Lauren Reamy - George Mason University

Lauren Reamy is a sophomore at George Mason University, majoring in Vocal Performance. Besides singing, she loves musical theatre, hanging out with her pets, and reading way too many books.