by Lauren Reamy

6 Winter Clothing Staples For College Students

By Lauren Reamy - Dec 30 2016

We've made it. The holidays are over and winter is in full blow. Soon, we will be walking to class through snow, ice and whatever other hazardous conditions our schools decide to remain open for. Here are a few staples you should have in your closet that will help you to survive this chilly season.

1. Knits

Romwe.com

Whether it's a knit sweater, scarf or headband, knits will keep you cozy throughout the entirety of winter. And if you need to brave the cold weather, pop a jacket on top for extra warmth. 

2. Thick Cardigans

TheHunt.com

If you still want to wear some of your short sleeved shirts, throw a cardigan over them to add warmth. Cardigans are a staple year round, but in the winter they can be paired with scarves and cute necklaces to create the perfect outfit.

3. Layering

Ferbena.com

A lot of us forget about the magic trick known as layering, but it creates some really cute outfits and adds and extra layer of warmth for the winter. For a simple outfit, try layering a sweater over a plaid, like pictured above.

4. Scarves

Wachabuy.com

Winter doesn't have to mean bulky coats...and even if it does, you can still be stylish by adding a blanket scarf on top. Blanket scarves are warm and can be worn in many different ways to spice up your outfit.

5. Boots

Fashionqe.com

The most important winter staple, in my opinion, are quality boots. There are so many different options to purchase, but in general they should be thick and insulated. 

6. Hat

Oasap.com

You lose warmth the quickest through your head, so hats are super important to wear in the cold weather. 

The weather outside may be frightful, but that doesn't mean you can't be fashionable. I hope that this gave you some ideas for what to wear in the winter season.

Lauren Reamy - George Mason University

Lauren Reamy is a sophomore at George Mason University, majoring in Vocal Performance. Besides singing, she loves musical theatre, hanging out with her pets, and reading way too many books.