by Lauren Reamy

6 Delicious Breakfasts To Make In Your Dorm Room

By Lauren Reamy - Sep 27 2016

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...right? And if it is, why do so many of us neglect it? Time can be tight in the morning as we battle for more shut eye, but without breakfast, mornings are dreary and dull. It's that extra bit of energy that gets us through our 8 A.M. classes and into the next part of the day. But sadly, many of us don't have access to kitchens, which limits our options greatly. That's why I found six recipes that are dorm friendly and delicious, so that you can get the proper start to your day before classes.

1. Cinnamon Roll

Quick and simple, cinnamon rolls are a guaranteed breakfast that will brighten your morning. To make one, purchase a pack of cinnamon rolls and microwave one of them in a mug or dish for about a minute. Then, all you have to do is add the frosting on top and enjoy.

2. French Toast

Image: Pretty Prudent

For those who are partial to french toast, you're in luck. Cooking it in your dorm is fairly easy and makes for a good weekend treat. You'll need bread of any kind, which you will slice into cubes and throw in a mug. Then, mix an egg, three tablespoons of milk and cinnamon. Pour this mixture over the bread and microwave. You should start by microwaving for one minute and then add ten seconds until it is cooked to your liking. Top with syrup for the classic finish.

3. Bacon

Chris Yarzab via Flickr Creative Commons

A lot of people forget that bacon is a delicious and simple breakfast to make. The next time you're at the grocery store, grab a pack. The only direction is to put it on a plate, microwave and enjoy before heading to class.

4. Breakfast Cookie

Photo: Gemma's Bigger Bolder Baking

If you're up for a challenge, try making a breakfast cookie. You will need to mash up a banana and then add one and a half tablespoons of peanut butter, a half tablespoon of milk and half a tablespoon of honey or agave. Add in four tablespoons oats and one tablespoon raisins, and microwave from 45 seconds to one minute. Though this may seem like a lot of work, it's honestly just mixing ingredients and ends up giving you something new to eat for breakfast.

5. Yogurt Parfait

Jonathan via Flickr Creative Commons

One of the simpler recipes, parfaits can be made ahead of time for a quick grab and go option. You can use either regular or Greek yogurt, which you will then top with your fruit of choice and granola. Finish off with honey or agave drizzled on top.

6. Scrambled Eggs

OCM.com

Even though they aren't as good as the ones cooked on a stovetop, you can still make eggs in your dorm if you're craving them. To make them, pour the egg into a mug and microwave for 15 second intervals until they are light and fluffy. 

Breakfasts don't have to be boring with these recipes. And though it may take a little extra effort on your part, waking up to something other than a granola bar or cereal is totally worth it. 

Lead Image Credit: Pexels.com

Lauren Reamy - George Mason University

Lauren Reamy is a sophomore at George Mason University, majoring in Vocal Performance. Besides singing, she loves musical theatre, hanging out with her pets, and reading way too many books.