Display jessica ruscello 99563
by Lauren Reamy

5 Essential Oils That Are Great For College Students

By Lauren Reamy - Oct 08 2017

If you’ve never tried essential oils, you’re surely missing out. With so many benefits, from reduced anxiety to better sleep at night, essential oils are one of the best natural ways to combat some of the stresses and problems you may be facing. But do they actually work? While the answer for that varies from person to person, there have been multiple studies confirming the benefits of essential oils, so it is definitely worth it to at least give them a try. And if you’re not sure where to start, don't worry. I’ve got you covered.

1. Lavender Oil

Most known for its calming properties, lavender oil is one of the most popular essential oils, used for insomnia, stress and anxiety. Since lavender oil enters your system in as little as five minutes, it’s best applied topically, to your palms, temples, wrists and feet. You should feel a relaxed sensation in no time, helping with the overstimulation and stress that college can sometimes cause.

2. Peppermint Oil

As a sufferer of chronic migraines, peppermint oil is one of the first things I turn to when I start to feel a headache coming on. Peppermint oil has a cooling sensation when applied to the skin, and is therefore great to use for headaches, soreness or muscle pain. And in my own experience, it does work! Apply to any area in which you are achy/sore, or put it on your temples for headache relief.

3. Tea Tree Oil

Feel a cold coming on? Whip out your bottle of Tea Tree oil! Tea Tree oil is a natural immune booster, having been shown to kill many strains of bacteria, viruses and fungi. Getting sick in college is never ideal, so having some of this stuff on hand is essential (no pun intended) to staying healthy. You can apply Tea Tree oil to the skin, or use it in a diffuser. Tea Tree oil is also scientifically proven to reduce acne, so it’s a great natural remedy to consider.

4. Rose Oil

Being on your period is not fun. However, using rose oil may be a good way to alleviate some of the stresses that come with it. A regulator of hormone levels, rose oil has been proven to reduce menstrual cramps and PMS symptoms. It is also good to use when you’re feeling down, as it stimulates feelings of joy and boosts self-esteem.

5. Ylang Ylang Oil

If you’re not into strong scents, Ylang Ylang might not be the oil for you, but if you can deal with it, there are so many benefits that come from this oil. First, Ylang Ylang is one of the top essential oils to use for depression. A few drops in your bath or diffuser, and you might find you’re feeling a little better about things. Of course, no oil is a complete substitute for medical treatment, but Ylang Ylang is a good thing to turn to if you need extra something.

Essential oils are a wonderful thing to check out and they can be bought at virtually any grocery store or drugstore for pretty cheap. For more information on how to use essential oils, check out Essential Oil Haven’s guide.

If you’d like to know more about other essential oils not mentioned in this article, Dr. Axe has so many great articles to help you pick out which oils may be best for you. I wish you luck in your journey. No matter what oils you decide to use, you have decided to take a positive step in your health and personal happiness, and that is something to be admired. Essential oils are a lot of fun and I hope you enjoy exploring this world of natural remedies.

Lead Image Credit: Jessica Ruscello via Unsplash

Lauren Reamy - George Mason University

Lauren Reamy is a sophomore at George Mason University, majoring in Vocal Performance. Besides singing, she loves musical theatre, hanging out with her pets, and reading way too many books.