Display bethany newman 61417
by Lauren Reamy

5 Easy Ways to Manage Your Sweet Tooth in College

By Lauren Reamy - May 13 2017

We've all been there. You're standing in line at the grocery store and eye a candy bar. Your mind says no, but you grab it anyways, knowing it's just what you need before you hit that all night study sesh. 

Sweets. They're delicious, but when you're trying to live a healthy lifestyle, they can easily be one of the most difficult things to curb. So here are some ways that you can manages your sweet tooth. 

1. Try Chewing Gum

If you're really craving something sweet, try popping in a piece of chewing gum. Research has shown that gum has the ability to curb food cravings. In addition, if you're eating because you're bored, chewing gum will have the same effect without having to needlessly eat unhealthy foods.

2. Find Healthy Alternatives

Although a lot of the time healthy food just doesn't live up to the taste of its unhealthy counterpart, there are a lot of healthy snacks that can serve as a better alternative and still taste pretty good. If you're looking for something to replace candy, try dried fruit, which literally tastes like heaven. There are also snack cookies and chips that are natural and better for you than the processed ones.

3. Eat Good Meals

While snacking isn't bad, if you eat wholesome and filling meals, you shouldn't find yourself reaching for the cookies as often. According to MyPlate, most of your meals should include a protein, grains, fruits and vegetables. Structuring your meals this way will not only help you to create healthier habits, but it will keep you full and satisfied throughout the day.

4. Eat Breakfast

Speaking of meals, breakfast is an extremely important one. People who don't nourish themselves first thing in the morning normally experience a drop in blood sugar a few hours later, which is part of what makes you crave those sugary snacks. The best way to combat this is to make sure you have something in your stomach at the start of the day.

5. Treat Yourself

The most important thing to remember in managing your sweet tooth is that you don't have to cut off sweets completely. In fact, doing that will probably only make you crave them more and lead to binging. Having a candy bar or cookie every once in a while is far better than forcing yourself not to, so be smart with your eating choices and let yourself indulge when you need to.

Having a sweet tooth can be difficult if you want to eat healthy, but the key is to commit. Cutting out a little each day will lead to healthier habits long term. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!

Lauren Reamy - George Mason University

Lauren Reamy is a sophomore at George Mason University, majoring in Vocal Performance. Besides singing, she loves musical theatre, hanging out with her pets, and reading way too many books.