Display card
by Lauren Reamy

10 Ways To Get The Most Out Of Your Tuition

By Lauren Reamy - Sep 14 2016

I think we can all agree that college is expensive. The amount of money we spend every year could be used in various other ways, but since we have chosen to invest it in an education, it's important that we get that most out of the money that we are spending. Luckily, there are a couple of lesser known perks that you can take advantage of for no cost at all. 

1. Actually Use The Gym

Outside of college, a gym membership could cost from $40-$50 a month, so take advantage of the free membership that comes with your tuition while you can. What a lot of people forget is that even if you're not much of a gym person, most gyms offer classes like yoga, zumba, pilates, barre and spinning, so there are other options for everyone to keep fit. Why not combat that freshman fifteen and get a good value out of the money you're spending?

2. Get a Checking Account

Most colleges offer some version of a bank account that you can get for free with absolutely zero monthly fees. This is also good because while you may struggle to find ATMs from your home bank, there's bound to be ones around your school.

3. Concerts and Events

Some universities hold large concert events where admission is free to students. If this sounds like your school, you should take advantage of this. It's an opportunity to go to a free concert and a lot of them have big stars whose shows usually cost hundreds of dollars.

4. Free Software

There's no need to pay for softwares like Microsoft Office or Adobe. Most colleges offer these free for both Mac and PC with your student email address. If you're not sure where to find them, they're most likely on your school's IT site. 

5. Counseling Centers

If you're having trouble adjusting to college or just need someone to talk to, check out the counseling services that your school offers. Outside of college, it would cost much more

6. Take Longer Showers

Since you're not paying for a water bill, it's OK to take longer showers. Later in life you will have to worry about this, so why not enjoy it right now?

7. Take Food From The Dining Halls

A lot of dining halls offer a to-go box option for those not wanting to eat in the dining hall. To get more for your money, get a plate of food and also a box full of food that you can warm up if you're hungry later, so you don't have to walk all the way to the dining hall.

8. Use the Tutoring Centers

If you need help, there is absolutely no shame in getting it. The tutoring centers at your school are a part of your tuition, so make the most of them.

9. Ride Public Transportation

If your school has buses or some sort of monorail, actually use it! Not only will this minimize the time you have to walk to class, but you will also be making the most of your tuition money.

10. Free Food

There is always free food on college campuses and a lot of times, it doesn't matter why. If you see an event going on, you can normally stop by and get some food without wasting meal swipes. 

College has so much to offer, and with these tips, you'll be getting the best value out of the money you're spending and enjoying the perks. 

Lauren Reamy - George Mason University

Lauren Reamy is a sophomore at George Mason University, majoring in Vocal Performance. Besides singing, she loves musical theatre, hanging out with her pets, and reading way too many books.