Display photo 1456404823214 a69ef7a1fae5
by Lauren Reamy

10 Things to Be Thankful for as a College Student

By Lauren Reamy - Nov 21 2016

As a college student, there is much to be thankful for. Those grade curves on tests we forgot to study for and times when there's no line at Chick-fil-A are the things that give us life and help us to get through the struggle known as college. So this Thanksgiving, instead of putting together a list of things I'm personally thankful for, I decided to spell out ten things that all college students can thank the gods of higher education for when you're sitting around the table for dinner.

1. Class cancellations.

Let's be completely honest: waking up to an email from your professor saying class is cancelled is what we live for. Those three little words can make our day, allowing us to get more sleep and have more time to work on homework that's due for our other classes.

2. Class friends.

These people are basically the best. If you miss class or don't understand something, they've got your back. Also, they're the people you can rant to about how boring and long lectures are, and they can relate.

3. The library.

I feel like this is something we can all agree on. The library is pretty much your second home as a college student, and without it we would not be able to survive. Whether you stop in during the day for a quick study-sesh or settle in after dinner for the long haul, the library is always the place to be.

4. Netflix.

As a tool for procrastination, Netflix is great. Netflix is also just a good form of general entertainment. Bored in-between classes? Netflix. Too tired to go out with friends? Netflix. It is the answer to everything. It is what keeps us sane.

5. Microwavable foods.

When you've had a long day, walking all the way to the dining hall is not something you even want to consider. This is why mac and cheese, Ramen and other microwavable foods are a college student's best friend. They may not be completely filling, but you can supplement them with different snack foods and be fine.

6. Randomly fun moments in your day.

This is very vague, but college can be stressful. I'm sure you can think of a few days when something happened that made you smile. Whether it was a comment some kid made in class or a nice person swiping you in at the dining hall, these moments are what sustain us.

7. Coffee.

Need I say any more? Coffee is basically our life source in college, and without it, life would be dull and dreary. 

8. Free things.

One of the best parts about college is walking on campus and stumbling across some sort of free thing. Sometimes these are events that hand out free food, which then ends up becoming your lunch and saving you from using another meal swipe. Sometimes these are free t-shirts to the first 100 people who sign a pledge. Whatever form they take, free things are awesome and college would not be the same without them.

9. Headphones.

Walking to class in the morning is not one of my favorite things to do, but if I have some good music on, it makes it ten times better. Headphones are a beautiful creation that allow us to watch Netflix when we're early to something, or to call people on the way home from class. They are perfect and they are a necessity.

10. The fact that winter break is just around the corner.

While it's great to go home for Thanksgiving, winter break is our much-needed longer break, and it is approaching rapidly. It may seem far away, but the time will go so quickly after Thanksgiving and before we know it, the semester will be over.

So maybe college has a few things that we should be thankful for, but this Thanksgiving I'm thankful for college itself. Though it has been a crazy couple of months, I cannot deny that college has changed me in so many ways, and I am so proud of the person I have become. I may get stressed sometimes, but I am grateful for the friends and family who bring me back every time and remind me to focus not on my struggles, but on the beautiful triumphs of everyday life. So I hope that all of you find moments to be grateful for and that you stuff yourself with food this Thanksgiving. 

Lead Image Credit: Unsplash.com

Lauren Reamy - George Mason University

Lauren Reamy is a sophomore at George Mason University, majoring in Vocal Performance. Besides singing, she loves musical theatre, hanging out with her pets, and reading way too many books.