Display boysbackpack 015 550x408
by La'Kay Hodge

Studying Abroad: A Movie Guide

By La'Kay Hodge - Sep 14 2015

College is a time of exploration, both external and internal.  Over the course of the next four years, some of us will have the opportunity to study abroad and expand our cultural horizons.  As an ode to spending my first year in London, here is a list of movies that leave me yearning for an adventure of my own.

1. Indiana Jones

The perfect thing about Indiana Jones is he is both a scholar and a badass.  Also, he makes archaeology look cool.

2. Midnight in Paris

As a writer, I can relate to the struggle of finding external inspiration.  This movie reflects every writers dream: to talk to the great writers that came before them.  It's set in Paris, where many great American writers known as the "Lost Generation" moved during the 1920's.  After watching this, you'll want to take a crash course in French and put your passport to good use.

3. Hector and the Search For Happiness

To be honest, I didn't know what to expect when Netflix put this movie in my suggested list.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only was it quite good, it was extremely inspirational.  This is one of those movies you casually watch expecting to waste two hours of your life, but you come out with a new perspective and a thirst for self-discovery through extensive travel.

4. Knight and Day

Knight and Day is one of my favorite movies of all time.  I love the humor, the action, the music, and most of all, the scenery.  Even if it doesn't make you want to become a secret agent or an unfortunate bridesmaid, it will definitely whet your appetite for spontaneous and exhilarating travel.

5. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

This may seem like an obvious one, but it's a must-have on this list because it makes you think about the things you haven't done in life and how it's never too late to become the person you want to be.  If you want to see the world, the only thing stopping you is you.  In the words of Shia LaBeouf: "Just do it."

6. The Holiday

You know those moments when you suddenly wish you could live in a cozy cottage in the English countryside, leaving all of your stress and worries behind you, and possibly meet the cute British guy of your dreams?  Yep, me too.  If I can't permanently move to England, at least I'll have a whole year to experience life like a local (and possibly meet that cute British guy I was talking about).

7. Under the Tuscan Sun

When you're life is going downhill, why not buy a villa in Tuscany?  This whole movie is basically Italian scenery porn and may cause a growing desire to say "what the hell?" and uproot your life to sip wine in the European countryside.

8. King Kong

While I think we can agree that the general message of the movie was venturing to the island was a bad idea, it doesn't negate the fact that the island was gorgeous (minus the giant bugs).  Unlike the other movies, which entice you to all kinds of European experiences, this movie makes you want to pack your hiking shoes and journey to somewhere more remote and dangerous than your average tourist destination.

Lead Image Credit: Word Travel Family

La'Kay Hodge - New York University

La'Kay Hodge is a freshman at New York University who will be spending her first year in London! She is a gym enthusiast, coffee addict and massive nerd. Follow her on Twitter @LaKayHodge!