by Kylie O'Neill

Why the Summer After Graduation Has Been So Difficult

By Kylie O'Neill - Jul 26 2017

It’s nearing August, which means summer is almost over. At this point, there have already been endless beach days, day trips, mall trips and meals out with friends. We have all (hopefully) been having the time of our lives. Hanging out with friends, enjoying time with some new found friends post-graduation and making the most of the last summer where we're all home. Regardless of whether you are going to college this fall, working full-time or pursuing another path, I’m sure this summer has been different for you. It sure has been for me, and not in a good way.

This summer is the hardest summer I have ever had. I am having the best of times with my friends, such a good time that I almost want it to be worse. I don’t want to trade in any of the memories, I just want to trade in the time. In the back of my mind all I can think is "Wow, our last summer before we all leave." I am fully aware that we will all be home for breaks and next summer, but it will be different. Maybe not everyone comes home for each break, maybe we have breaks at different times and maybe we'll all be too busy working next summer.

I have less than a month left with some of my friends, so I am trying to spend as much time with them before that month turns into days, days into hours and hours into minutes. The clock is ticking and there's nothing I can do.

I am so excited to see where all of us go: I cannot wait to come home and hear all of our stories and college experiences. But until that time, my heart aches and my head hurts thinking about the time I have to spend away from my friends.

The best experiences have been the ones where we laugh harder than we ever knew we could. We laugh till we cry and we cry till we laugh again. There have been texts sent through tears, texts sent with love more than one could ever imagine and texts where we long to see each other. I know we are all trying to hang out with everyone we can and it's hard to not be selfish. Everyone is trying to get the final memories before college in.

To all my friends, this is by far the hardest summer, and I know we don't all show it, but we are all struggling with the thoughts of leaving. You are all off to bigger and better things. Don’t forget about the memories we have here at home, and don't forget the love that keeps us all together. We are always just a phone call away. Thanks for making this summer so hard, it's such a great feeling to have people that are this hard to leave.

Kylie O'Neill - Endicott College