by Kylie Anderson

7 Ways To Relax At College

By Kylie Anderson - Jul 15 2016

Relaxing at college can be hard. Normal solutions used at home might not work due to unforeseen complications. Do you typically light candles or incense to calm yourself down? Fire and flammable materials are not allowed in most (if not all) college dorm rooms. Do you always pick out your favorite bath bomb and face mask from Lush and have a nighttime spa treatment when the day has gotten a little too harsh for you? Colleges have showers, not bathtubs. De-stressing and calming yourself down is one of the most important things you can do while at college; if anxiety is riling you up too much, performance in the classroom will go down significantly. Instead of letting the stress run its course, stop it in its tracks with these seven ways that you can relax while at college. 

1. Take a Nap

Naps are a great way to great way to get out of your head for awhile. Even if you're not feeling sleepy or tired, a quick power nap can refresh any person, making you feel more relaxed, focused and happy. A nap in your dorm room is perfect because you'll have your own pillows, blankets and stuffed animals to cuddle up with. If you're feeling trapped in your dorm room, however, some colleges offer napping areas in their libraries or lounges. This may be the perfect solution for a 15 minute snooze before heading to your next class!

2. Snacks

Food is one of the best things in life. That is an indisputable fact. Another fact? You're not you when you're hungry, according to Snickers. If stress and anxiety are riling you up to your breaking point, take a break and get a snack. Snacks known to energize include nuts, fruits (especially those that are dehydrated!) and peanut butter. You can throw all these things together in a trail mix fashion, or you can merely pick one and enjoy alone. Even if you can't reach for a healthy snack at the time, eating will help your mind focus on what it needs to get done, and you'll feel a little less stressed because your body will be back at homeostasis. 

3. Listen to Music

Sometimes just hearing the opening chords to your favorite song can calm you down. When in times of trouble, simply pull up your favorite playlist and hit shuffle. Spotify is a great app that allows you to save certain songs and albums, make playlists and listen to them all for free. It only costs you a 30 second ad every 30 minutes! When I need to relax, this is the perfect app because I have all my pre-set playlists for whatever mood I'm in. Am I in an angry stressed mood? Rap it out. Am I in a sad stressed mood? Hello, power ballads about breaking up with your boyfriend. Listening to familiar music for 15 to 30 minutes can easily calm even the most stressed person down. 

4. Workout

A lot of people will read this and think "Working out? EW." Hear me out for a minute. As stated by Elle Woods from Legally Blonde, "Exercising gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands." While killing your significant other may not be the problem here, the fact remains true. Working out for an hour a day produces endorphins, a neurotransmitter in your brain that is related to the emotion of happiness. This workout doesn't have to be intense; it can merely be some squats, a few crunches and a quick jog outside your dorm building. It's as simple as that. If you're feeling stressed, letting the tension out through some exercise is not a bad idea.