Display shopping cart 1275480 1920
by Kris Lussi

11 Things College Students Who Work in Retail Think But Never Say

By Kris Lussi - Jun 19 2017

Working in retail is hard. You're treated like you're stupid, you get yelled at and are forced to be nice to some of the rudest people you've ever met. Us retail workers hold a lot in! I dream of telling customers how I really feel, but unfortunately, that's not allowed unless you want to get fired. Now that it's summer, plenty of college students will be working in retail and suffering through some of the same issues.

1. "You look bored, I came here to keep you busy."

Yes, I am bored. But that doesn't mean I was asking for you to come to my register, so please don't try to make it seem like you're just trying to help me out. Honestly, I just want to be left alone so I can continue reading this random Cosmo article on my phone that's hidden next to the receipt printer.

2. Making eye contact with you is not an invitation.

Yes, I see that you are second in line at the express lane. I know you're staring at me, just waiting for the moment when I look up and accidentally make eye contact with you. I know that as soon as I accidentally make eye contact with you, you feel like it's an invitation to come to me and ask to check out. It really isn't an invitation. I work at customer service and I am most likely doing something important. I'm trying to get stuff done, helping you get out of the store two seconds sooner isn't really my priority.

3. Please don't tell me to smile.

Just because I'm not smiling, doesn't mean I'm in a bad mood! Telling me to smile more likely than not WILL put me in a bad mood. So just don't say it, thanks. 

4. "You look like you're happy to be here."

I know you're trying to be funny, but I am not laughing. I know that I may not look particularly happy to be here, but do you really have to point it out? Whenever a customer says this to me, my mood just gets worse. 

5. "Aren't you beautiful."

Just stop. Please. I'm not here to please your eyes, I'm here to get a paycheck. By the way, I'm not flattered at all, just extremely creeped out. 

6. When an item doesn't scan. 

No, this does NOT mean you get it for free. Saying, "Does this mean it's free?" is NOT amusing, it honestly just makes me want to bang my head against a wall. 

7. "Can you open another register?"

No, I cannot. I am on a register. Everyone that is working is on a register. I cannot be in two places at once. I am sorry that you decided to shop at the busiest time on the busiest day of the week. Not my fault. 

8. When they hold money two inches away from your face.

SO. RUDE. I am bagging your items. Holding the money DIRECTLY in front of my face will NOT speed me up. Maybe set the money down on the counter and be patient?

9. "Are you open?"

My light is off. My closed sign is out. No, I am not open. Maybe you should get your eyes checked.

10. When the card reader beeps.

When it beeps, IT MEANS YOU CAN REMOVE YOUR CARD. If you were paying attention and reading the screen, you'd realize that it's saying "please remove card." But it's OK, everyone loves the obnoxious sound of beeping. 

11. "The customer is always right."

Honestly, this saying is a huge joke. The customer is wrong 99 percent of the time. Thinking that a customer knows better than the worker who is at the store every day for hours at a time is ridiculous. 

So yeah, retail is hard. Please treat retail workers better. We're people too.

Kris Lussi - Quinnipiac University

I will be attending Quinnipiac University in the fall and plan on majoring in psychology. I love music, going on adventures, Netflix, and cats. Follow me on Instagram @kristinlussi