"Hamilton: An American Musical" is taking the world by storm, and with good reason. The songs are catchy, the cast is amazingly talented and the story is incredibly relatable to young people who want nothing more than to make a difference in the world. Alexander Hamilton was a "bastard orphan" who immigrated to the United States, just in time to throw himself into the American Revolution. He became George Washington's "right hand man" and the nation's first Secretary of the Treasury. He lived his life as if tomorrow would never come, something almost everyone our age can understand. So I've compiled a list of ten lines from the musical that college students everywhere can empathize with the most.
1. "I'm only 19 but my mind is older." (Alexander Hamilton - "My Shot")
We've all felt older than we actually are at some point, either because we feel that an 18 or 19 year old probably shouldn't be so tired all the time or because it seems like we're smarter than most of our peers.
2. "The art of the compromise. Hold your nose and close your eyes." (Aaron Burr - "The Room Where It Happens")
Group projects, am I right?
3. "There's a million things I haven't done." (Alexander Hamilton - "Alexander Hamilton")
And, let's be honest, they probably won't be getting done until the last possible second.
4. "Gotta be my own man. Like my father, but bolder." (Philip Hamilton - "Blow Us All Away")
A lot of us want to be like our own parents, if not a better version of them.
5. "All I have's my honor, a tolerance for pain, a couple of college credits and my top-notch brain." (Alexander Hamilton - "Helpless")
And a desperate need for money and food.
6. "Have you an ounce of regret? You accumulate debt." (Thomas Jefferson - "Cabinet Battle #2")
Speaking of a desperate need for money...
7. "Why do you assume you're the smartest in the room?" (Aaron Burr - "Non-stop")
Probably because it's better than thinking the opposite.
8. "I made every mistake." (George Washington - "History Has Its Eyes On You")
I most likely have some more mistakes to make before I graduate.
9. "Immigrants. We get the job done." (Alexander Hamilton and Marquis de Lafayette - "Yorktown [The World Turned Upside Down]")
OK, maybe not every college student can relate to this one, but definitely a fairly large percentage. I definitely can.
10. "Well, I'm going back to sleep." (Eliza Hamilton - "Best of Wives and Best of Women")
Me too Eliza. Me too.
Lead Image Credit: Hamilton: An American Musical Official Facebook Page