Display 9505381256 f0992fb684 o
by Kendall Meenan

4 Things I Want to Say to My Younger Siblings as I Leave for College

By Kendall Meenan - Sep 09 2016

One of the biggest challenges that I faced as college approached was having to say goodbye to my siblings. As the oldest of four and the first to leave for college, I didn't know what to expect and neither did my siblings. Now that I am on campus, I want to insure that my siblings take advantage of certain luxuries of home that I do not have access to. Here are some things that I have to say to my siblings back home.

1. Enjoy home cooked food while you can.

I’ve only been at school for a few days, but there is a clear difference between a home cooked meal and dining hall food — not to say that dining hall food doesn’t taste good! There are many options, but they’re not necessarily tailored to your particular tastes. On the other hand, when Mom cooks, she knows how crunchy you like the pasta and what cheeses to put inside of your lasagna. Don’t take that for granted — it’s nice to sit down at the dinner table with your favorite food in front of you! Enjoy it.

2. Drive as much as possible!

I love having my license, and driving my convertible with the top down. Unfortunately, most freshmen aren’t allowed to have cars on campus, which means walking is one of the only options. Your school may provide shuttles or have access to public transportation. In some cities, driving may be too much of a headache. Either way, it’s not the same. Make sure to make the most of the time you have with your precious car, even if you’re driving down the street to get groceries. Blast the radio a little bit for me.

3. Don’t take Mom and Dad for granted.

You’ll never understand how much you need Mom and Dad until you watch them walk away from your dorm room on move in day. They comfort you, make your breakfast, wake you up in the morning and support you constantly. College is the first time apart from them for a long period of time, and then you start to miss all of the little things that they did for you. Spend time with them and show them that you appreciate them! Use the time while you have it.

4. Even if I don’t call every day, I miss you.

Once classes start, I’m going to be busy. I’ll have activities, clubs, new friends and lots of homework to deal with — I may not have time to text you or video chat you every day. But, I will always be thinking about you and what you’re doing. I want to know how your test in Spanish went or about the cute kid that started talking to you when you went to get ice cream. Right now, I am starting a chapter of my life in a different location, away from you guys, but you’re still a huge part of it. Your support means the world to me, and I miss you more as time goes by.

As I become more adjusted to college, these sentiments still hold true. I want to make sure that my siblings appreciate what they have, and let them know that I love them. Even though I am three hours away, I will definitely be coming for some home cooked food.

Lead Image Credit: FeistyTortilla via Flickr Creative Commons

Kendall Meenan - Northeastern University