by Kelsey Oliveira

6 Problems Freshmen From Massachusetts Can Relate To

By Kelsey Oliveira - Oct 30 2015

Being an out of state student from Massachusetts has its advantages, but it also has the disadvantages of others not understanding what you are talking about. Or there's the chance that they ask you to speak in a Boston accent for them. Either way, despite the confusion, ridicule, and fascination, these dilemmas are faced by many students from Massachusetts.

1. Everyone hating your love of New England sports teams

Sports embodies the culture of Massachusetts, with their teams having the best fans in the nation. From the Red Sox, to the Bruins, to the Celtics, and the Patriots, fans from the native region love to cheer on their home team. Once you leave the area, however, you soon realize that not everyone likes New England sports teams - more often then not, they dislike them. I would be lying if I said that I haven't been insulted for wearing a Red Sox hat or a Patriots shirt. But hey, those are the struggles of being the greatest fans with the best teams!

Photo Credit: Fox 2000 Pictures/Tumblr

2. No one understanding why you say 'wicked' so much

Most of your friends describe the latest trends as being "really cool" or "pretty nice," but your go-to phrase is "wicked awesome," accompanied by some confused glares. Those from Massachusetts use 'wicked' as another word for very or really, with the rest of the country and the entire universe simply using it for its original meaning of being evil or unpleasant. So to avoid any embarrassment or confusion in others, you usually pass on saying 'wicked,' unless you want to have a long discussion on why it means something completely different for Massachusetts residents.

Photo Credit: Miramar Films/BuzzFeed

3. Not being able to find a Dunkin Donuts within a 1/4 mile radius

Being in Massachusetts, you can see a Dunkin Donuts from the parking lot of a different Dunkin Donuts; they're basically everywhere. Their cups and commercials may say that "America Runs on Dunkin," but everyone up North knows that "New England Runs on Dunkin;" the company was founded in Massachusetts after all! Once you leave the region, however, the number of stores begin to grow smaller and smaller and you grow more and more desperate to go to Dunkies so you can get a large iced coffee, even if it is Winter. The worst isn't just not being able to find a Dunkin Donuts, but its when others have no idea what it even is. Your heart just breaks in two. Nothing matters without Dunkin. Nothing.

Photo Credit: Twitter

4. Objects or locations having different names

Water fountains, shopping carts, grocery stores, trash cans: these everyday objects go by these names everywhere but Massachusetts. To us, they're called bubblers, carriages, markets, and barrels. When asking where the bubblah is, you usually get a strange look as if you're speaking a foreign language, which Massachusetts tongue might as well be. We don't understand your language just as much as you can't comprehend ours; at least its a two-way street!

Photo Credit: Pinterest

5. Not being able to get "authentic" seafood

We understand that you can get seafood pretty much anywhere if you search, but nothing compares to the fresh fish being caught and served in the same day that you can get in Massachusetts. And don't even get us started on clam chowder. We appreciate the effort of you trying to make it, but it will never be the same as a bowl of chowdah that you can get from a shack by the water. The thicker, the better. And don't even try adding tomatoes to it. The worst problem is if you go to school in the South, and they try convincing you that hush puppies and catfish are better. No. You will never understand until you try it. I just need some clam cakes and stuffies, pronto.

Photo Credit: Pinterest

6. Explaining that you aren't from Boston

When you say you're from Massachusetts, everyone assumes you're from Boston, so it's easier just to state how far away you live from the city. But seriously. We can't all live in Boston, as much as we'd all love to. Massachusetts is a very diverse state, that has much to offer, whatever region you happen to live in! 

Photo Credit: Twitter

Lead Photo Credit: Kelsey Oliveira

Kelsey Oliveira - University of Central Florida