Display download
by Kelly Dasta

8 Ways to Meet New People Your First Semester

By Kelly Dasta - Aug 21 2015

After being surrounded by the same people nearly your whole life, you may have realized that you have forgotten how to meet new people. One of the most common fears going into college is making new friends, but with these tips and tricks you'll no longer be in a sea of strangers.

1. Introduce yourself always.

Warner Bros.
  • Introducing yourself may seem easy to some and terrifying to others. No matter where you fall on the introvert-extrovert spectrum, introducing yourself is key when it comes to meeting new people. A good rule to go by is every time you sit next to someone you don't know, introduce yourself. It may seem awkward at first, but soon you'll realize that everyone is as desperate to meet people as you are and will appreciate your outgoing personality.

2. Leave your door open during orientation week.

20th Century Fox
  • If you feel uncomfortable introducing yourself to people, leaving your door open is a great way to get people to introduce themselves to you and an easy way to meet people in your dorm. It's basically an unspoken way of saying "Come on in!" Chances are other people on your floor will be doing it too. Remember to close your door though when you're not in your room to avoid theft.

• 3. Start a study group.
  • Starting a study group is not only a way to meet people, but it will improve your grades too. If you're struggling in a certain class or if your neighbor is struggling, start a study group. Also it's a great way to meet people outside your major. If you're a bio major struggling in a gen ed English class, you could meet an English major who could be an asset when it comes to checking future papers.

4. Offer compliments.

Paramount Pictures
  • If you're not sure how to strike up a conversation with someone, a compliment is the perfect go-to. Complimenting someone gives you an opportunity to say "I'm ____, by the way." and lead into more conversation. If you're a girl this is the oldest trick in the book. You're safe picking pretty much any article of clothing and complimenting it. If you're a guy this is a little more tricky since girls are more compliment savvy than guys, but if you see someone wearing a t-shirt of something you're interested in, such as a music artist, compliment away!

5. Get Involved.

Disney Chanel
  • Getting involved in campus clubs and organizations is a segue to meet people who have the same interests as you. Whether it be greek life, a sport, theater, the news magazine or the environmental club there will most likely be something on campus that sparks your interest. Getting involved is also a great way to make connections for job opportunities.

6. Hang out in the common area.

• Most dorms have a common area on each floor with couches, tables and television where students can hang out. Even if you don't have anyone to go to the common room with, bring your homework or something and odds are, someone will strike up conversation with you. Or even better, bring a deck of cards or a board game and ask people to join you.

7. Go to social events.

No matter  how big or small your school is, there will be plenty of social events for you to attend. Even if you don't like going out, try stepping outside your comfort zone. Go to a football game to cheer on your team, attend a free concert from a local band, or hit up a party on the weekend. Whatever you choose you are bound to meet someone.

8. Be yourself.

Many people take college as an opportunity to find out who they are, which is awesome. What's not awesome though is pretending to be someone you're not to make friends. If you be yourself you will be so much happier than pretending to be something you're not. Also you will be happier surrounded by people who like the real you.

Lead Image Credit: NBC

Kelly Dasta - University of Pittsburgh

Kelly Dasta is a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in English Writing and minoring in theatre arts. She is the campus life editor for Fresh U Pitt and the fashion and beauty editor for Her Campus at Pitt. She enjoys Netflix and all things puppies. You can follow her on Instagram @DellyKasta!