Display dog
by Kellie Diodato

6 College Students Share How They Handle A Bad Day

By Kellie Diodato - Jan 14 2018

It doesn’t need to be dark and desolate outside for it to turn into a bad day. In fact, most bad days don’t start out as “bad,” they sometimes evolve from almost perfect days and to me, that’s more painful than knowing that a bad day is on the rise. When you’re having a bad day, it’s hard to rationalize. It’s hard to remember that everyone’s been there and everyone has different ways of coping with them. Here are six college students who were willing to give advice on some bad day antidotes.

1. Give yourself time.

“The key is to de-stress. Give yourself an hour or two and go for a walk, do some yoga, throw weights around at the gym or shoot that zombie's head off in that video game you love to play. The idea is to do whatever gets your mind off of the things that are bothering you. Give yourself time to unwind and relax outside of your everyday life, then go back and deal with whatever problem you're facing when you feel ready.” — Tyler 

2. Use it as motivation.

“Take all of those negative thoughts and turn them into something creative! Instead of wallowing and making things worse for yourself, look at those negative thoughts as a reason to do something fun or something you don’t usually give yourself time to do. Take a bubble bath and binge watch old cartoons! Remind yourself that 'Sure, I might be in a bit of a pickle but right now, I’m busy enjoying this bubble bath!' At the end of the day, my biggest tip is to make sure you take care of yourself.” — Francesca 

3. Do what makes you happy.

“First and foremost, do what makes you happy, or at least incorporate it into what you're doing. For instance, I personally like singing to myself. So sometimes when I need to study, I sing my notes rather than just reading them aloud. It helps me remember them all while making it more enjoyable. Also, spending time with friends is always a quick fix for a bad day, even if you're both just studying. Never underestimate the presence of others in your life! Remember, if it's particularly a really bad day and you feel stressed, colleges have counselors who are there for you to talk to, vent to and advise you through any and all situations. Don't be afraid to reach out to others because odds are they understand how you feel.” — Thomas 

4. Focus on the positive.

“How you end a day is just as important as how you spent it. This is the prime time in terms of improving your general mood and attitude about today. Go sit in your favorite deli or coffee shop or watch a movie! It’s okay to call a friend and vent, but make sure you end your conversation on a positive note, like talking about your favorite things or making plans to see each other . The famous saying is true, ‘Never go to bed angry!'” — Michelle 

5. Put it in perspective.

“Whenever I’m going through a bad day, I put it in perspective in terms of all the other days I’ve lived and the other days I’m going to live. Like, If I was having a bad day today, I think about all of the good days. It helps me remember that bad days are temporary and sometimes necessary as there is always something to learn from them. I also remember that all things negative like pain, sadness and frustration, are all temporary things that WILL pass. So, look forward to the future. The future could be the next hour, the next day or even the next year.” — Terrence

6. Turn to family and friends.

“In college, work is hard, your schedule is busy and the pressure is always on. It’s easy to focus or dwell on your short comings and challenging classes. When I am having a bad day, I like to turn to my family and friends. They’re always there to reaffirm all of my hard work and all of the progress I’ve made thus far. Please, don’t be afraid to reach out to your family and friends, they really can reassure you and raise your spirits.” — Stephanie 

Bubble baths, cafes, and singing around your room might not be your thing, and that’s okay; we’re all different in terms of what works for us and what doesn’t. But if there’s something you should take from what these students had to say, remember that you’re never in it alone and that yes − it’ll get better.

Lead Image Credit: Matthew Henry via Unsplash

Kellie Diodato - Marymount Manhattan College

C.S Lewis once said, "Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours." Maybe that's why we write. Theatre Arts Major at Marymount Manhattan College.