Display lead image copy
by Kellie Diodato

Meet Sara Salamat – A Full-Time College Student Following Her Passion for Music

By Kellie Diodato - Jan 30 2018
So, what’s your passion?

You know what I’m talking about. What’s the one thing that grows flowers in you until they grow and grow and finally reach the surface? Although you can’t deny those flowers born of passion are there, you’re still presented with a decision to make. Will you water them? Will you allow them to grow tall with healthy wide stems and beautiful, colorful flowers for the world to see, or will you let them shrivel up?

As we get older and venture into college, we are faced with the adult world more and more. We’re expected to choose a college, start networking, become more self-sustainable, choose a major and above all, get it all right on the first try. Frankly, this is where things get scary for our little friend passion. Many students in and entering college may feel pressure to pick a major they may not necessarily love in order to ensure success, while others may pick a major they enjoy, but cease to continue to water their beloved flowers, possibly due to guilt of not concentrating all of their time and energy into ensured success in their major. Although the situation may seem helpless, I’d like to introduce you to someone who proves that it's possible to follow your passion while in college.

Meet Sara Salamat. Sara is a 19 year old college student who currently majors in Mass Communication Media. While Sara has also worked with the Huffington Post and has an eye for photography, the thing that makes Sara’s flowers grow is music.

Sara Salamat

In a unique turn of events, Sara, a self-declared singer, songwriter and cover artist didn’t actually find her passion for music. Her passion found her. Really, all Sara found was a, as she puts it, “dinosaur age” piano.

“I had no friends freshman year [of high school] so I always sat alone, which made me feel a bit lonely," Sara said. "So one day I decided to go and explore the building. I found myself in the basement where a bunch of storage closets were and in one of those closets was an upright piano; like, a dinosaur age piano. For some reason, I started playing music there and I found that it satisfied me. I felt at peace. One of the janitors opened the door to that storage closet and said I was ‘doing a great job sweetheart!’ and to ‘keep playing!’ It made me feel so happy. That was back in 2013; it’s now 2018 and I’m still playing!”

It was in this moment that Sara was presented with the decision to let those flowers brought upon by passion within her blossom, or to let them cease to exist. She chose passion. She chose what she knew she needed. “Music is like therapy to me and without music, I wouldn’t be here today. It has healed me and has given me a sense of purpose both as an artist and writer,” she said.

In fact, Sara’s music was so important to her, she decided to share it with the internet. “The internet helps you grow as an artist and also connects you with people in the music world to grow your audience,” she said. And grow is correct. As the flowers planted in passion grew within her, her online presence did as well. On October 24, 2017, Sara’s YouTube channel reached 5,000 subscribers. She also has over 2,000 Instagram followers as well as over 32,000 followers on Twitter. Here’s one of Sara’s covers, “New Rules” that you can find on her YouTube channel!

Just when you think that’s as far as Sara could take her passion while following the demands of her Mass Communication Media major at only age 19, she released her debut EP, “With Love” on Spotify. The album contains four original songs that are bound to wow any audience, as her fan base has climbed to 853 subscribers!

There’s no doubting that Sara is becoming more and more successful by the minute, but it’s important to note that this success did not just fall out of the sky and into her lap. When talking about the trials that come along with following her passion and the demands of her college degree, Sara said that creating a schedule and sticking to it is the key to allowing her love of music to blossom. “I record covers on weekends and write music on Tuesdays and Thursdays. School and work fill in the rest of the gaps,” she said.

Finally, I asked Sara for any pieces of advice she has for her fellow peers who are also trying to pursue their own passions while acting as full-time college students. What she had to say was noteworthy, as it could be said a million times and still never enough. “Go for it. The only thing stopping you is yourself. Once you extinguish the fear of ‘will people like me?’ from your mind, following your dreams becomes so much easier.” 

Passion exists. The flowers that grow inside of you are undeniably alive and present. I know it’s easier said than done to pursue your passions, but your heart, mind and soul will thank you for it later. College and all of your hard work will be there. That degree you’re looking to receive will be there as yours for the taking, and adult life is never going to stop inching its way closer and closer to you. But those flowers? They need water. They need to see the sun.

And whether they do or not is solely up to you.

Sara’s Debut Album “With Love” can be found on Spotify by searching "Sara Salamat."

Lead Image Credit: Sara Salamat 

Kellie Diodato - Marymount Manhattan College

C.S Lewis once said, "Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours." Maybe that's why we write. Theatre Arts Major at Marymount Manhattan College.