by Kellie Diodato

6 Fun Things To Do Around NYC During The Holiday Season

By Kellie Diodato - Dec 12 2017

Okay, so there’s no “right way” to celebrate the holiday season. But if you happen to be studying in Manhattan during the most wonderful time of the year, I’ve compiled six fun things for you do with those close to you in between all of those finals and waiting to go back home!

1. Sledding in Central Park.

If it happens to be snowy around the weeks leading up to Christmas, you might want to consider sledding the hills of Central Park. Pilgrim Hill and Cedar Hill have become the most popular slopes for sledding in NYC and are definitely worth the hike into the park! It’s the perfect activity to bring out the child in anyone. 

2. The Radio City Rockettes

You’d know them by their ornate costumes, lovely smiles and articulate dance moves. That’s right, The Radio City Rockettes! The Christmas Spectacular featuring the Radio City Rockettes is one of the most iconic performances New York City has to offer. After seeing the Rockettes myself, I really believe it’s worth purchasing a ticket and taking a friend or two along as well! 

3. Walk Fifth Avenue and enjoy the window displays.

Sometimes, all one needs is a little time outside in the crisp winter air to get them into the holiday spirit. If this sounds like you, I highly suggest taking yourself on a walking tour through New York City to find all of the best and most ornate Christmas window displays. An article by Trip Savvy gives a list of the most popular window displays, including those of Bloomingdale's and Macy’s Herald Square. Before you head out to hunt down the best and the brightest, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to grab a thermos full of hot chocolate, either!

4. Rockefeller Center Ice Skating

Home to the most iconic Christmas Tree in all of New York City, the Rink at Rockefeller Center is a tourist favorite. Whether you’re a skating expert or have never done so before, you’ll love every moment on the ice under the glistening lights of the Christmas tree. Even stopping by to see the tree itself is worth the trip! 

5. The Union Square Holiday Market

If you’re a shopper, you’ll love the Union Square Holiday Market! From November 16 until Christmas Eve, you can visit Union Square’s Pop-Up Holiday Market full of unique and sentimental gifts crafted by local artists. This year, you can expect to see new sections of the market like Little Brooklyn and Urbanspace Provisions. 

6. Christmas Movie Marathon

If you happen to be in New York City around the holiday season, I strongly urge you to venture outside of your dorm and enjoy all that the city has to offer. But, I still believe there’s nothing better than quality time with those who mean the most to you and a good-old fashioned Christmas movie. Some of my personal favorites are “It’s A Wonderful Life,” “Elf” and “How The Grinch Stole Christmas.”

So, there you are! Six different things for you to do during your time in New York City around the holiday season. No matter how you decide to spend your time in New York City around the holidays, I hope it’s merry and bright.

Kellie Diodato - Marymount Manhattan College

C.S Lewis once said, "Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours." Maybe that's why we write. Theatre Arts Major at Marymount Manhattan College.