Display writer
by Kellie Diodato

4 Aspiring Writers Who Chose Passion as Their Major

By Kellie Diodato - Feb 21 2018

It was during the final weeks of my senior year that I was presented with the question that, on bad days, still has the power to keep me awake at night. My friends were talking about the colleges they’d decided to go to and the majors they’d recently declared. Among these majors were finance, accounting, business, chemistry, psychology and political science. As the conversation began to die down, one of my friends turned to me with a smile and said, “So, how do you plan on turning your hobby into a job?”

All of my friends chose majors that ensured them both happiness and stability. I, on the other hand, settled on just happiness, as I decided I was going to double major in playwriting and creative writing. Writing is and was a passion of mine, so I couldn’t imagine not pursuing it in college even though I was quite aware of the struggle that could come along with spending four years earning two degrees in such cut-throat professions.

Nevertheless, I laughed off my friend’s remark and we haven’t mentioned it since. It did, however, get me thinking about how and why other people who are passionate about writing discovered their love for the craft, as well as what had pushed them to major in it in college. My curiosity led me to four college students who were happy to fill me in on what it’s what like to be a writing major in their respective concentrations.

I asked these college students from various concentrations about their passion for writing, and this is what they had to say.

Q: When did you first discover your passion for writing?

Prerana, Literature

“I was presented an award for 'the best poem in junior category' in the sixth grade. I really felt encouraged to write after that, and I haven't looked back ever since.”

Lindsay, Communication and Journalism

“When I was in elementary school, poetry assignments always came really easy to me. I would go in my room and whip up a poem in 5 minutes and would amaze my whole family with what I wrote. I wanted to always write more than I was assigned, so I started writing stories about a girl named Angel when I was only 7 years old. Ever since then, I don’t remember a time when writing was a chore or something I dreaded.”

Dorine, English

“I discovered my passion for writing when I was 15; I started off writing just for fun but then it grew to something I became very interested in.”

Bre’Anna, Journalism

“I always grew up thinking I didn’t have a talent because I wasn’t super smart or really good at sports, music or art. When people told me that I was a good writer I just assumed I was good at following instructions. But after I had written my first poem, I knew writing was my gift.”

Q: Why did you decide to follow your passion for writing?

Prerana, Literature

“Writing gives me an opportunity to express my thoughts and be heard, without being subjected to prejudice. It had always been a tool that had enabled me to present my opinions to the world. Since I really feel that this is what will keep me going, I decided to pursue my writing.”

Lindsay, Communication and Journalism

“I had some incredible opportunities to write in high school, but my real wake up call was when I discovered I could tell my own stories about college through writing. I also learned so much about others throughout the process, too. I actually completely changed my major from film to communication and journalism after one semester of college and I’ve never looked back nor have I regretted it.”

Dorine, English

“I decided to go with writing because it was something I feel was just for me; I feel like I’m remotely better at it than any other craft.”

Bre’Anna, Journalism

“Honestly, it’s probably the main thing I’m good at. Sure, I’m good at other things but writing is second nature to me. I saw it as a way to tell a story, mine in particular.”

Q: Was there ever any lack of encouragement in pursuing writing?

Prerana, Literature

“No. My parents and relatives have always been supportive of my passion for writing.”

Lindsay, Communication and Journalism

“No! I am lucky to have had supportive friends and family throughout this whole process.”

Dorine, English

“I’m my worst critic! Sometimes after I write something I’d feel like it wasn’t ‘good.’ Because of that I tend to get discouraged when I can't think of anything I deem to be ‘perfect,’ and come down with a mean case of writer's block which would make me stop writing altogether. But I’ve learned that sometimes, this stuff just happens and all you can do is try harder and never give up!”

Bre’Anna, Journalism

“Luckily, I never experienced a lack of encouragement or support of becoming a journalist (I’m a journalism major,) but I know how competitive the field is, so that self- instilled fear is always in the back of my mind.”

Q: What do you hope to do after college in terms of a career?

Prerana, Literature

“I wish to work as editor for magazines with a huge readership!”

Lindsay, Communication and Journalism

“I really hope to work in the publishing industry. I want to work in some sort of newspaper or magazine company, as well as become a journalist.”

Dorine, English

“My hope is to become a journalist or maybe get into screenwriting!”

Bre’Anna, Journalism

“I would love to be a reporter for CNN!”

Everyone knows the famous piece of advice Robert Frost gave us that says to “take the road less traveled by.” However, I like to argue that Frost isn’t telling us to do that at all. What he’s actually trying to tell us is sometimes, the roads may be exactly the same and may take you to the exact same place, so really, the only thing that matters is that you chose which road to take.

In other words, take no mind in what the rest of the world is doing because the only choices that matter are the ones you make for yourself. 

Kellie Diodato - Marymount Manhattan College

C.S Lewis once said, "Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours." Maybe that's why we write. Theatre Arts and English Major at Marymount Manhattan College.