Display john towner 126924
by Katie Taylor

9 Tips for Accepted Students Day

By Katie Taylor - Apr 17 2017

During the college decision-making process, going to an accepted students day is a chance to see what the campus is like and what your future peers will be like, and can help in the crucial decision of where you’ll end up next year. These tips will help you to get the most out of your accepted students day no matter where you’re looking.

1. Tour the campus.

This one’s pretty obvious: walk around the campus, see the sights and take it all in. Imagine yourself on campus, going to classes and being there every day, and see if it feels right for you.

2. Go to information sessions on various majors.

Even if you think you know what you want to major in, a lot of people switch their majors once they get to college. That’s why it’s important to go to information sessions not only about your major but about other majors. Having more options is always better.

3. Tour a residence hall.

It’s important to see where you’ll be living for the next few years, so seeing a residence hall is crucial. Try and picture yourself living there, and how you’ll make the space your own. If you go to multiple accepted students days, try and take note of the differences (for example the size of the desk, air conditioned or not, carpet or hard wood floor, etc.)

4. Ask questions.

If you have a tour guide or a student showing you around on accepted students day, be sure to ask a lot of questions. Be sure to ask anything on your mind that could help with making your decision. During such a stressful time anything that can make the decision easier is good to know.

5. Go to a club fair.

Some colleges have club fairs for the accepted students, and going to one will definitely be beneficial. Grab some flyers, talk to some people and see what the school has to offer. This might help make your decision easier if you can find people with similar interests as you or clubs that you might like to get involved with on campus.

6. See the academic buildings, classrooms and library.

It can be easy to forget at this point in the college process, but you’ll have to go to class every once in a while when you get to college. While you’re on campus, have a look in the library and in a classroom if you can. An important part of making the decision is determining whether or not you can picture yourself on the campus, and this is a good way to help you do that.

7. Go outside the campus, explore the local area.

See the local sights, check out restaurants nearby and just explore what might be your town for the next few years. Sometimes it’s hard to realize until you’re there whether you prefer a college town or a big city, or what it might be like to live in that town.

8. Take a look at the gear in the student store.

Check out the different clothes, hats and various other fan gear you can buy at the student store. Maybe even get some, just to get yourself hyped up if you decide to go there next year.

9. Talk to the people around you.

This one’s the most important. Talk to the other accepted students and talk to students on campus, anyone who might be your peers. See what vibe you get from them, and if they’re the type of people you’d like to go to school with. You might not have an instant connection with everyone you meet, but talking to people will be a good indicator for the type of people you’ll meet there.

The most important part of going to events like this is to relax, be yourself and have fun. You’re almost all the way through the college-choosing process, and hopefully, this day will help you get a sense of what’s right for you and where you belong. After all, you’ll be living at your college for the next few years, so it should be somewhere you love to be.

Lead Image Credit: John Towner via Unsplash

Katie Taylor - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Katie Taylor is a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill majoring in Business and minoring in Spanish. In her free time, you can find her instagramming her dog, baking anything with chocolate, or watching Game of Thrones.